🦫New France🇨🇦

This is the final humanities project of the year. Let’s hope I can make a nice blog post for it. 

This project was called ‘New Beginnings’. It was about New France. 

The driving question was ‘ what did the establishment of New France mean for all people involved? 

First thing we did was an advertising challenge. We got into small groups, and were told to make an ad for Seycove Secondary. Here is my group’s final ad- The final product for this project was going to be an advertisement, but we didn’t end up doing that.

To learn more about New France, we watched a video called ‘The Story of Us’. Here it is if you want to watch it-

Instead of making an ad, we ended up having to create two visuals. Before we began to create these visuals, we had to choose a topic for our visuals. Here are the topics we were allowed to choose from:

• The fur trade & the economy
  • Indigenous alliances
  • Filles du roi
  • The construction of New France
  • Cour de bois
  • Surviving New France
  • Missionaries & the role of the Church
  • Seigneuries & land ownership

I chose Filles du Roi, or ‘the king’s daughters’. Here are my research notes:

We then went on a photo walk. Here are the photos I took:

After that, using the photos that we took, we had to make an image that would  ‘symbolically represent’ our chosen topic. 

So, this is what I came up with-

Wonderful colour choices right?

I revised that monstrosity into this-

Next thing we did was a fur trade simulation. We got into four different groups, the Ouendat and Haudenosaunee first nations, and the Hudson’s Bay and North West trading companies. I was part of the Haudenosaunee group. We had to fill out a question sheet before we started the simulation. Here is mine-

Each group was supposed to trade with other groups to obtain other goods. It was… very chaotic. After the trade simulation, we had to answer some questions to reflect on it. 

I’m sure you’ve been wondering what the image at the very top of this post is.

That is my finished visuals.

After creating our visuals, we then had to explain what they meant-

In the first image, which is supposed to be the more positive side of a Filles du Roi’s life, shows two rings. I included these because one of the main aspects of life as a Filles du Roi, is moving to New France and getting married. The Filles du Roi were allowed to pick out who they wanted to marry, instead of being forced to marry some random man. 

The next symbol I added was a house. This was because when the Filles du Roi arrived in New France, they were sent to live with families until they married. 

The final symbol in the first image, is money. The king payed the Filles du Roi travel expenses to go to New France, and they were given 50 – 100 livres for personal use. 

On the last image, I added a snowflake, because it got very cold during winter. I also put in a pan, because one of the roles of a Filles du Roi was to cook meals for their family. The sewing needle and thread showed that the Filles du Roi also had to sew clothing for their family. 

The last thing I’ve added is a bunch of babies. The Filles du Roi were expected to have many children to populate New France.

Anyway, I think that’s all I have I have to write about

So

Goodbye

Thanks for reading

I hope you enjoyed reading this post and all my previous humanities project blogs!