Ascension – the hit new story soon to become a major motion picture

Welcome back to Blondie’s blog

The driving question:

How can sci-fi/fantasy fiction help us imagine a different future?

In this project, we had to read a book called Leviathan, and then write our own sci fi story and then make a movie trailer. 

This was happening as we were doing the other things but I’ll throw this in now-

We got into groups (I was with Caden and Callum) and reading Leviathan and doing our assigned reading roles (every week we rotated between word wizard, illustrator, connecter, and summarizer)

But we couldn’t just use people to act in our trailers, we had to make a Frankenstuffy! If you don’t know what that is it’s taking some stuffies and ripping off limbs and heads and that sort of thing, and then sewing those parts together to make your very own frankenstuffy.

Here’s mine:

We then made a sort of resume for our characters, as well as a character summery. 

After finishing the book, we got to work on our own stories. We started working on our story spine, and did some more world building for a story. 

From the start of this project I had an idea of what I wanted my story to be, but once it came to actually writing it, it was a bit harder to get my ideas on paper, in a story that made sense. But I eventually got it, and here is my completed story! – 

Acsension

Click on the link if you want to read it

Now that we had a story, we could start making our trailer. As always, to begin we made a storyboard. Please excuse my drawing skills, I can draw better but for the sake of time I didn’t.

Filming and editing the trailer was pretty fun, thank you to Kira and Caden for starring. A few scenes are pretty cheesy, (such as the skydiving scene where I got Kira to walk forward with her hands in the air then flipped the video so it seemed like she was falling) but thats the vibe I was going for. And the moment you’ve all been waiting for… My trailer- 

Now last but not least, my answer to the driving question. Sci-fi and fantasy help us imagine different future by opening up more possibilities of what could happen. They often have some sort of futuristic tech, magical powers, or something like that. They can open our eyes to new and interesting ideas, which can lead to a different future.

Thanks for reading!