Summative Learning Portfolio

Hello!!!

This was the final ad our group created to send to the business.

Meet my team members! Caden, Kira, Naomi, Christian, Keenan.

For this past project, we were assigned a company to make an advertisement for. Our group got Honey Doughnuts, which I was really exited for. I really love Honey Doughnuts, so I was          really looking forward to being able to work with them. Here is Honey Doughnuts website if you want it. :]

The driving question of this project is “How does what we hear, read, and view influence us?”. Our group would be allowed  to work together, create individual ads, and develop a final ad to send to our business, see our final advertisement above.

We learned a lot about different types of media and advertising definitions/principles during this project. The design principle workbook helped when designing the advertisement since we had alot of writing. It taught us how to use alignment with writing and images, and make everything come together a bit better

We did a lot to build knowledge on the driving question like, historical perspective, media definitions, and forms of advertisement. We got assigned a advertisement principle workbook, which I actually really enjoyed. I messed up a few times and really struggled to make the examples, but in the end I was able to get it done. Here is my workbook. I learned a lot on how to make a advertisement look better, and that help me in the long run.

Design Principles Workbook

We analyzed a video advertisement called “Welcome Home”. In class we were able to watch this video. While we were watching it, we took notes and sketched how it impacts you. After we watched it, we wrote a paragraph about who the target audience is and what the videos message is. I think this was one of the first things we did in Humanities, and I decided to add it because, I remember when I was doing this I didn’t understand at all what the “Target Audience” was and I had a hard time answering that question. (I do now don’t worry.) Around this time we also learned a lot about media definitions, and those helped me a lot with my advertising journal and answering those questions.

Connecting to last paragraph, another thing we did was the advertisement journal. What we had to do was take a bunch of advertisements we found, and than analyze them. A few questions we had to answer were, ‘Where did you find this ad?’ ‘Who is the target audience?’ etc. I spent quite a long time working on this, I actually really enjoyed making it! It was really fun finding the images. I also found it satisfying when you finished the questions row by row. This made it easier when it came to expanding my ideas when being asked questions. You usually don’t look at advertisements like you had to when answering those questions.

Advertising Photo Journal

When we were doing our individual advertisement, we were able to use a bunch of different sources like Canva, Keynote, and pages. Each person in our group were able to construct our own advertisement drafts. We were also asked to write a paragraph on the advertisement itself. We were able to present our individual ads to our groups, and get peer critique. We talked to our business owners and asked them what we should include in our advertisement. We were also able to talk to Derek Hepburn, and he helped us a lot and gave us a lot of important information to make really nice advertisements. He taught us about the 70,20,10 technique, and the KISS technique as well. It helped us organize things better, especially since it was hard to make it look nice cause the background was a photo. I learnt a lot about where to put things in advertisements, and how to catch the target audiences attention. This is my first draft! It’s definitely improved a lot since I made that one.

This was my first ad that I created for the business.

Another thing we did was the historical media analysis. Our task was to construct a written response to a piece of historical media we found. In the written response we answered the five key questions of media literacy, (Who created this message, what techniques are used to attract my attention, how might other people view this ad, why the message was sent, and what points of view are represented).  This is my historical media that I found on safari.

Source

Overall, I think I did well in this project. Im proud of how all my work came out, and how I was able to show my learning. What I found really helped me was talking to my peers, and seeing their perspective on the questions, and working in the LAC room. What we hear and read can influence us positively or negatively. Media you see and hear can make you believe things that are not true, and make people feel like you have to do something you don’t. Media can also make you feel happy! Like when you see something heartwarming or sweet. What we hear can influence us to go and buy something or visit somewhere, just by describing it and making it seem appealing.

2 replies to Summative Learning Portfolio

1. Incredible, stunning, love it, amazing

• Thank you.