What Is Our Biggest Support?

Hello! Welcome back to my neurology blog series. I strongly recommend checking my last blog here, to get a bit more of an understanding of whats going on. 

Last time we talked about the anatomy of the brain, the brains functions, and why its so important! This time I decided that I would go into a bit more tricky subject, that being the spine. If you didn’t know, neurology and neuroscience is the study of diseases and disorders in the brain and Central Nervous System. The Central Nervous System is a part of the nervous system that contains primarily the Brain and Spine. Since I talked about the Brain last time.. now its time for the spine!! 

Definition of the spine; (spine) The bones, muscles, tendons, and other tissues that reach from the base of the skull to the tailbone. The spine encloses the spinal cord and the fluid surrounding the spinal cord. Also called backbone, spinal column, and vertebral column.

(source)

Why is the spine so important?

The spine is your body’s main support. It helps you stand, move, walk, twist, sit, jump and more. Without your spine, you wouldn’t have any support and wouldn’t be able to sit or even stand up. 

What does the spine have to do with neurology?

Simply, the spinal cord is part of the central nervous system which also includes the brain.

Surprisingly, the spine has anatomy too! Here is a diagram I drew!

For the Fun With Photos activity I drew the anatomy of the spine. This is what I had to do to get my drawing.

• First I found an free to use image of the spine on Google.
  • I sent the photo to Procreate and made a new layer on the image
  • On the new layer I traced over the drawing using a black fine pen
  • I added my own labels and explained what parts of the spine were what.

One reply to What Is Our Biggest Support?

1. Hi Hayden!!!
    I loved the title you chose it’s hilarious! I was laughing so hard. I think next time you post it would be great if you could write a conclusion to your post. Like a short goodbye to your readers. I thought the precision on your drawing made it look super clean and professional. -Sydney🙃 (P.S go check out my blog: https://www.blog44.ca/sydneyh/)