My First Film – Blog Post

Ello Ello, Recently for our last project before summer we had to create a documentary for class ! This documentary had to include our vibrant video skills, at least one interview, and a soundtrack we made! Here’s how I did it.

We started off by choosing a topic for our documentary, I wanted to do birds aren’t real but apparently that’s not a ‘proper topic’ so I ended up doing fashion trends! Not my top pick but still ok.

But to really jump start us into this project we streamed by creating a treatment, the treatment is a one page summary of your whole film. This helped us set up our screen plays but ill get to that later!

The treatment coincided perfectly with the creation of our log lines! The log line is sort of like the treatment but its a more brief summary of what’s happening in the film sort of like the back of a book or the yellow scroll text at the beginning of Star Wars.

Remember that screen play I was talking about? Well now we needed to create it – a screen play in film is something that basically holds the outline for your story. It contains the setting of the scenes as well as the monologue in that scene! Its sort of like a script with extra notes telling you where to stand, how, when, etc. It was actually pretty helpful to use when creating my story board.

Now one of my least favourite yet also my favourite part of projects like this – a story board! The story board was sort of like all of these three things combined (treatment, log line, screen play) but visual. But before we got to doing our films story board to do this we watched like 50 seconds of the mandalorian trailer (atleast I think that’s what it was) but it was actually kind of fun! Next we started to create/work on the story board for our own films mine ended up looking kinda messy but still got the message through. Here’s a snippet of mine!:

Next we got to actually filming our documentary’s this included sending out emails containing interview questions and creating an outline for our film in iMovie (place holdings, existing photos, etc.). Then I  had to flim interviews – I interviewed my mom, my dad, and my stepdad who all work in the clothing industry. Once that was done I inserted it into the draft of our film and started editing, the one thing that I had trouble with was the creation of music, for the music in our documentary’s it had to be 100% authentic (aka we needed to create it all ourselves) to do this we needed to use garage band – in the end I’m kinda of happy with how it turned out so take a look here!

Alright that was it!

Sincerely,

Ines

Published inMaker

Be First to Comment