Pristine Poetry Book

Welcome back! We’ve just finished up another project in humanities. The project we’ve been working on has been quite interesting in a few ways. We’ve been doing poetry. We have done a lot of work with learning different poem terms, learning how to properly read poetry, learn how to write poetry, and dissecting poems. This has all been to answer the driving question, “How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?” We also worked towards doing a live poetry reading. 

The first thing that we did was start learning some different poetry terms. A poetry term is a thing thing that you can include in your poems. Example, a rhythm scheme is the pattern in which the poem rhythms. For this we created a note page of sorts where we had the term, what it means, and an example for every term. Close to the end of the project we even had a test on this. If was a fairly simple test where we had a few multiple choice questions and we had to dissect a poem. The poem test was a good insensitive to actually put in the work to learn some of these terms because I most likely wouldn’t have bothered to learn some of the less common otherwise. 

The next thing that we did was start working on the poems. This was sort of in two parts because we had to learn to write and read poetry. We had to learn how to write about 9 different types of poetry to put into my book, more on that later. There are also a few reasons why we had to learn to read poetry properly. The first being that we were going to have to present our poems later on. The second reason is because poems can change depending on how you read them. If you don’t read the poem right, you could end up getting the wrong message across. Sometimes, how you read the poem is more important than how it’s written.

The final big thing that we did in this project was creating a book. We made books about all the poems that we wrote. For every poem we had a complementary text, like a photo, and a voice over explaining the poem and what it’s about. We also made an about the author page. On this page we had a photo of us, some writing about us, and an about me video. Once we were done with the book we actually had to present poems on a zoom call. Some people read poems from their books but everyone was put into a group and had to write a new poem. Every group had a different type of poem that they had to do, my group had experience poem, and we had to work together to make a poem about our worldview and also make a background image. 

In the end, this was a pretty good project. Even thought I don’t love poetry, I had an ok time doing all this. I learned that there are many ways to construct text that shows who I am right now. There are all the different types of poems and everyone is unique. I learned the importance of how you present the poem, as well as how you write it. I also learned how to use some new tools and apps to enhance my final learning. 

Check out my poetry book here!