What to Binge at 2:08 AM when You Can’t Sleep

What’s going on my loyal viewers, it’s Jason, and it is once again time for some SBC. Now, this week, we had a bit of an easy one, we got a free week. That means your boy can write about whatever I want. So today, I’m going to give back to the community.

You ever have those moments when it’s after 1:00 AM and you can’t sleep and you’re debating whether to just give up on sleep? You ever pull out your phone, tablet, or laptop and can’t decide what to watch? Well, your old friend Jason is here to help. For easy access, I recommend bookmarking this post as it can help very much with late night binging sprees. This is:

Jason’s Late Night Movie/TV Binging Guide.

Here we go. I’m going to start by establishing some categories for the movies/tv. For each category, I will give one or two of my personal favourites and also some other good recommendations on the side. The categories will be: To Laugh,  To Scream, And To Gasp.

Also, take into consideration that I am in no way a movie critic. I have absolutely no idea what makes a movie better than the rest. These are just MY PERSONAL RECOMENDATIONS. Are y’all ready? Let’s Start.

Movies

To Laugh

This section is about comedy movies. My favourite.

The Hangover (2009)

The Hangover is one of the most well known comedy flicks in the 2000’s, and for good reason. The plot line is creative, and the characters are played incredibly well, especially Ken Jeong’s Mr. Chow. If you’re a fan of just basic slapstick humour, then this is the movie for you. However, the hangover is a movie for more mature audiences, so I wouldn’t recommend seeing it if you’re under the age limit. If you finish the Hamgover, be sure to watch the Hangover II and III.

21 Jump Street (2012)

21 Jump Street has been one of my favourite movies ever since I watched it for the first time. The storyline is developed very well, and the characters are really what make the film shine the most, such as Schmidt (Jonah Hill), Jenko (Channing Tatum), And my Personal favourite, Captain Dickson (Ice Cube). Like The Hangover, 21 Jump Street also has a sequel, 22 Jump Street.

Some other great comedies include Deadpool (2016), Super Troopers (2001), Popstar (2016), and for younger audiences, Grown Ups (2010).

To Gasp

This section is about everyone’s favourite adrenaline filled flicks, action movies,

The Avengers Series (2012, 2015, 2018)

This one’s a no brainer. Anyone who knows what a superhero is knows about the Avengers. With 3 movies in the series, and a 4th one coming in 2019, the Avengers is probably the most money-making superhero franchise. And the thing is, there may be only 3 avengers movies, but there’s dozens of Marvel movies as well, so there’s a good chance you won’t run out of superhero movies for a while. If you want more superhero movies, Black Panther,

John Wick (2014)

John Wick is a great action movie, with a good protagonist and a clear goal. The movie keeps you on the edge of your seat, with fast paced action and great acting. John Wick is also very violent, so don’t watch it if you’re underage unless you want to get scarred for life.

Dunkirk (2017)

Dunkirk is very well written and probably historically accurate (I would assume). I’m usually not a huge fan of war movies but I really enjoyed this movie.

Some other good action recommendations are Logan (2017), The Equalizer (2014), Baby Driver (2017), Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017), The Martian (2015) And The Revenant (2015)

To Scream

This last section is about the perfect late-night binge, horror movies.

Get Out (2016)

If you know anything at all about horror movies, you’ve probably heard about this one. Get Out. Perfectly written with just a hint of commentary on social issues. The perfect ratio of character development and spooky moments with just a pinch of humour sprinkled throughout the movie. Great film.

Don’t Breathe (2015)

In my opinion, what makes Don’t Breathe such a great horror movie is that it doesn’t rely on jump scares, it builds horror with the atmosphere. The lack of talking in the movie and the tension in some scenes is a great way to scare the audience without using cheap jump scares.

Hush (2016)

Like Don’t Breathe, Hush creates an atmosphere that causes so much tension. Also like Don’t Breathe, there’s not much talking in Hush, which makes the actors really step up their game, which they did. The storyline is very creative and well executed. 10/10 would recommend.

The Ritual (2017)

The Ritual has a pretty basic storyline. A group of buddies go into the woods, something goes wrong. What sets this movie over the top is the execution of the movie. The characters are played so well that at points, you can feel sorrow, or fear, or remorse for the characters. Incredibly good.

It (2017)

Ah yes. What would a recent horror movie list be without It. Where to begin. It has the perfect blend of everything needed to make a great horror movie. A great villain, good backgrounds and settings, and a charming group of kids. This 2017 remake was everything I expected it to be and better.

Some other (underrated) movies I’d like to give shoutout to are Trick’r Treat (2007), the Stephen King classic The Mist (2009), And The Belko Experiment (2015).

TV

Alright, now time for the iconic binge-worthy media, television shows. Now, I’m not going to split this one up into categories, I’ll just give y’all my favourite and we’ll be done with it. Aight?

Brooklyn 99 (2013 – Present Day)

Brooklyn 99 is one of those shows you always hear people talking about, and with good reason. The characters are the type of characters where you’ll watch 1 episode and you’ll immediately fall in love with them. The storylines are great, and the premise of the show (cop show) is something so hard to master, but the producers were able to figure it out. Watch 1 episode and you’ll be hooked, I guarantee. Definitely one of, not my absolute favourite show.

The Office (U.S.) (2005 – 2013)

The Office is another show that’s become a household name. Now, I will admit, I’m a bit of a late joiner in terms of actually watching the show (I’m still on season 6 out of 9), but I love this show so much. The characters are all so unique and different, like snowflakes. The producers have found a way to make every character still interesting and take unique storylines involving all the characters. There’s a reason this show made it to 9 seasons.

Black Mirror (2017 – Present Day)

Now, let’s take a look into the drama-horror-thriller side of TV and look at Black Mirror. Let me just say, Black Mirror is the reason I’m scared of technology. The stories are just the kind of things that would happen in real life, from DNA Cloning, to parental supervision to the max, to murder museums, Black Mirror satisfies a lot of groups of people with its eerie plot twists and haunting characters.

Rick and Morty (2013 – Present Day)

Rick And Morty is the only cartoon making this list, but it’s absolutely great. I had high expectations when I started watching, and the show blew through all those expectations. The show takes adult cartoons to a new level and sets a new standard for Adult Swim cartoons.

Well, that’s it. Got any recommendations? Write ‘em down in the comments below!

This is (as always), Jason Guan, signing off.