November 22

Herzog

Who is Herzog?

Pioneer color photographer Fred Herzog, half a century of memories on Vancouver.

From wooden houses to neon-lit streets, photographer Fred Herzog walk in the streets of Vancouver, he record half a century of Vancouver’s history with his camera and blazing a trail for color photography. “Only a few people can see it, but most people don’t even look.”

Fred Herzog born in Germany in 1930,  he began photograph black and white photos when he is age 20. He came to Vancouver in 1953 and took the first color photograph in the same year. He work as a medical photographer at that time, he took his camera out at night and on weekends to record his life. He photograph storefronts, neon signs, ads, cafes and crowds, he record the colors of that time.

For the next 30 years, while working as a medical photographer, he continue to take photos in his spare time. he said “In Germany, it looks like you have a social success while you don’t buy second hand, Not to me. There are many American-style second hand shops in Canada, which are wonderful paintings mixed with traditional American symbols. Posters in shop Windows, cars on the street and people in cars, I  record them. For me, photography like a way of observe and comment.”

“Taking street photography enhances the intuition of quick composition, but the most important thing is that you bring your ideas to the scene.”

In this project we learned how to tell a story with photos like Herzog, and we also learned photography skills such as bug perspective and bird perspective, my favorite part is manufacturing Mood. Manufacturing Mood is to learn how to express a mood in the photos. this is the photo I made(I’m expressing tense)

We also studied other photography techniques that are like manufacturing Mood such as Composing Reflection, Adjusting Angles Reflection and About me page.

Composing Reflection: Creative photo (Draw face on flower)

Adjusting Angles Reflection: Old Photo Challenge

About me page: Use photos to express myself