The Colonization of Canada

During this project we learned all about the colonization of Canada and how different people had different experiences. We focused on poor people, rich people, Fille de Roi, missionaries, and Indigenous people. I really liked this project because we got to learn about how they all benefited and lost from the colonization of Canada. 

Our driving question for this project was: What are the consequences of colonization today? and also How did colonization effect all involved? I think that the European people colonizing Canada benefited, where as all of the indigenous people did not at all. The Europeans that came over benefited, I think, because they ether got more money, a fresh start, or a chance to explore, or even all of the above sometimes. These were the main things people were looking for in this new land and the main reasons why they also moved over. The indigenous people however did not benefit overall, I think this because it may have been good in the begging with these new foreign allies coming over and giving them new tools and other things. Later on though, they realized that the foreigners that were coming over were not coming over to make their land better but to take it away for themselves. This is why I think overall all the Indigenous groups involved did not benefit.

This was interesting to me because I hadn’t realized to the extent of how much the indigenous lost in the big picture, and how much the Europeans gained while taking this land. The Europeans fascinated me though the most because of how much planning they took to take over and exploit this new land and how many people were involved. 

Overall I think that this project was beneficial for me because of how much I learned about things that I should have already known. If I could do this project again I would try to study a different group of people instead of the poor people, because I think that it would be really interesting to see another perspective on the colonization. This project was a lot of fun and I would totally do it again.

Thanks for reading!