MPol 2022

Did I reach my learning goals for this year? How much have I grown throughout semester 1? Since the first semester had ended, it’s now the time to summarize everything I learned from the first semester. In our blog post today, I will be enhancing my learning journey and reflecting on my growth as a learner.

The Three units

Think you can do better?

Main Growth: Personal and Social Awareness
In this unit, we investigate issues in Canada’s social, economic and political system to launch a solution to solve the issue. We created political parties and aim to make Canada a better place. Not only did we learn about politics, but this unit also brought us awareness of the current issue and inspired us to problem solve.
Self Evaluation: B+

Ology of Apology

Main Growth: Communication
In this unit, we studied Canada’s past wrongs and discrimination of minority groups. At the same time, we design our memorial to spread the story and its significance so they will never happen again in the future. By linking past to present, we can prevent mistakes from happening, bring improvements and shape our world into a better place.
Self Evaluation: A-

Romeo and Juliet

Main Growth: Creative Thinking
In this unit, we investigated the five acts of Romeo and Juliet and learn Shakespeare’s purposed message. We studied and analyzed different film adaptations and created our version of Romeo and Juliet that will appeal to modern audiences. Learning Romeo and Juliet allows us to have a stronger appreciation of the arts and encourage us to think creatively.
Self Evaluation: B

Overall Growth

Throughout this semester, I have developed solid communication and critical thinking skills. Valid evidence of my growth is the exhibition night; I have shared the story of Japanese Internment with over 30 people, which enlarged my comfort zone of public speaking & communicating. Meanwhile, the political party we created, the Hippopotamus Party of Canada, significantly contributed to my growth of critical thinking. Through inspecting and identifying issues in our society, we would have a deeper understanding by judging critically. On the other hand, I believe there are spaces for improvements in terms of creative thinking. Although I consider the design of our memorial to be creative, my political ad and Romeo and Juliet film lacked creativity. To develop my creativity, I am looking forward to learning more about Maker 10 in the second semester.

Goal vs Reality — Taking Actions

At the start of this school year, I have set a goal for myself: to reach 93%. Unfortunately, I have not yet reached that goal. Compared to my self-evaluation, there’s a 10% gap between reality and my learning goal; however, I will not set a lower expectation for myself. To achieve my goals, I will:

• Read more books and articles
  • Study ahead
  • Learn from past mistakes
  • Dynamically track my learning progress
  • Communicate with teachers to know expectations
  • Actively ask for feedbacks

If you have any suggestions or advice, please let me know.

At last, I would like to thank everyone who supported me on my learning journey; especially the teachers and my parents who helped me overcome challenges after challenges. Without the help and support, I would never accomplish what I have today.

Thank you for your time