Victory & Renewal: The 7 Habits

Hello and welcome to the world of the 7 habits!

Throughout the past few months so, besides the standard maker projects, PLP 10 has had a special side activity. This side shoot maker project was all about developing ourselves into having more success, learning how to learn and just being better people in general. We did this by reading and completing activities on a famous self-betterment book called “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey which details 7 habits that as you can probably guess, are meant to make you more “effective” as a person. The seven habits are split into 3 parts, the private victory which covers personal success (habit 1,2,3), the public victory for interconnected success (habits 4,5,6) and renewal all about healthy living (habit 7).  We made workbooks, did various choice board activities and read all about these habits so now in my reflection of learning we had a new assignment.

This new post is not only meant to be a written summary and reflection but we were meant to create 3 products that together cover and reflect our learning on the 7 habits. We had to make an auditory, visual and kinaesthetic items and each assigned some habit that it reflects upon while showcasing the big learning ideas. I decided to keep my habits division simple by keeping them in their already pre divided sections so that just meant assigning the parts to the products. Let’s begin a virtual exhibit of my learning:

The Private Victory (Auditory):

For this first section, “the private victory”, I knew it was all about the beginning and working to a better self before social betterment. I decided to make a song falling under the auditory category and here it is:

As you can hear there are 4 main parts to this song. Throughout this mini piece, you might here reoccurring melody or main theme even through different sections. Although not the same I try to grow this theme centred around the home key meant to showcase this personal development. Although week and timid in the beginning, each part showcases an addition of a habit and the improvement harmonically and melodically. By the end the piece is complete and strong, but although finished, has room to grow into an album or more. This is meant to represent the completion of personal growth and readiness for the move of social growth.

Thinking reflection:

The big idea that I believe the Private Victory relates to the most is in fact the thinking competency. Thinking is all done by oneself and needs good mindsets to be more productive with. I believe these initial 3 habits work on this ability to think whether it be through prioritizing important things or taking the first step out of your comfort zone. I will try and apply these 3 habits whenever using this thinking competency moving forward.

The Public Victory (Visual):

The Public builds on the previous section as it grows the person from being independent to becoming interdependent. In this section, I made a visual product with digital art software. Here is the piece:

In this visual, I tried to showcase as much connection and interdependence as possible. The picture captures a group of people trying to climb a hill. They have a rope tied between them to show how they are helping each other as well as how they are on the same boat. When one of them makes it to the top and “wins” all of them follow suit and “win” as well. The piece tries to highlight the importance of interdependence when climbing steep obstacles.

Communication reflection:

The communication competency is all about the social aspect of learning. This is clearly correlated to this public victory as both is about building that interconnectedness in society, your workspace and life. From a mindset putting everyone interests first to using others skills and differences to synergies, I will use these public victory habits anywhere from my workspace to my personal relationships.

Renewal (Kinaesthetic):  

Finally for the kinaesthetic model, I create a model out of various everyday items that keep me healthy. The 7th and final habit, sharpening the saw, that is in its own category, renewal, is all about keeping yourself healthy socially, cognitively, spiritually and physically. It is meant to keep the person healthy so that can apply the other 6 habits more effectively so thats way I chose to make this model out the items that keep me healthy. Here is a picture:

Personal & Social Reflection:

People often think of this habit as a personal commitment and something that only benefits oneself but I believe that this habit is both centred around the betterment of you and those around. The personal and social competency is all about being aware, and understanding one’s role. It is a bridge between the thinking competency and the communication competency which are both very personal and very social. Although this habit is working on oneself, by making yourself healthy and creating a better aura around you, this can also effect other’s mood and morale. Seeing people eat healthy makes you want to do the same which makes me believe the importance of this competency to others.

The end of this project is not the of our 7 habit journey but was just an introduction. This learning was meant to show us what and how to use these 7 habits but ultimately, it is up to us whether we apply them. I can certainly say I will be along with my Loon Lake learning goal and am looking forward to see its effectiveness. Applying these require mental dedication and constant attention as it is easy to forget for a day or two but I will probably be rereading this book throughout my life to revisit and once again build on my learning.

Thanks for reading and Good Night!