Post of (tectonic) death

Driving question:

How are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design?

Thematic elements are very useful for pinning down a game idea, as well as presenting it to the world. Mathematical elements make your game work, without them, most games wouldn’t work.

Curricular Competencies:

Evaluating: how can I demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence?

Before we could use tectonics as a base for our game, we had to understand them. While researching them, we came across the evidence the scientists used to create the theory. And it helped to provide a deeper understanding of said theory. For example we found that they use different types of waves from earthquakes to figure out the state of matter of the different layers of the earth.

Understanding and solving: how can I develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through play, inquiry, and problem-solving?

I can use my understanding of math to balance my game as well as creating the most effective tactics to use. Early on our game had a slight flaw in the dice rolling that meant it had a 80 percent chance to have an earthquake instead of the 50% we had planned, and it was like a 13% volcano chance instead of 40%, and using math we were able to fix it. Though after more play testing I may decide to change it even more.

Questioning and predicting: how can I demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest?

I could be actively looking for answers to questions and practicing my skills, i may be passively watching videos on the topic. Some examples of topics I’ve had a personal interest in are history, engineering, and blacksmithing, but most importantly (at least for this project) cartography! I was able to use these skills not just to make a nice map for our game, but it also helped me picture what was happening with said tectonic plates.

Evidence of learning:

I made a pretty fun game, we’ve played it with multiple groups and it had pretty positive feedback. I come from a background of DND (I’ve only played for a year but for half of that I was the DM) which helped me with balancing the rules.

I had made a map for the game and it’s the best I’ve made so far.

I’ve learnt how to use fractions to calculate game probability better, which helps me with the many probabilities in game when playing DND (as a DM or a player).

all in all this was a great project and I learnt quite a bit.