European Settlement?

Why do I care about the European Settlement? Our most recent project is about the changes and continuities since the time of European settlement. We made infographics with partners to show our learning. 

What did European settlement mean for all of the people involved? That was our driving question for this project. To start us off we asked questions about the project and what it entailed. We had questions like: Who were the people involved? What is “New France”? What qualifies as adequate evidence? What is a settlement? And many more. With these questions in mind we started looking at what we were doing, a bit closer.

We started building knowledge on the European settlement and New France. We began learning about what makes a good infographic with this video. 

We also were learning about using evidence and what reliable evidence is. To show our understanding of evidence we made this chart.

Evidence Chart

We worked a lot with continuity and change and what that meant in regards to European settlement. For milestone 2 we did a made a chart going deeper on what has changed and what has stayed the same. We were working on our curricular competencies which were Using evidence and identifying continuity and change. By completing the chart, I showed that I could identify how lives and condition were changed and how they were alike over time. I also hoped that I could support my conclusions with reliable evidence from different sources.

Milestone 2

Our infographic had to include 3 facts about the people involved (the French, the British, and the First Nations) and graphics to support and connect to our topic. It also had to include a theses statement that answered the driving question. Our milestone 4 was our final draft for the infographic within this milestone we had several different drafts that were revised for the final one. By completing our infographic we showed we could use reliable evidence and that we could identify continuity and change.

Here are some of our drafts:

To further explain our infographic we made a YouTube video about it. We used Keynote Magic Moves to make our video. 

Here is our final infographic:

Here is our YouTube video:

We put all of the completed infographics around our school so people could see them. Here is ours:

Throughout the whole project I enjoyed working with my partner to create our infographic. Our thesis statement is the answer to the driving question so here it is:

European settlement affected the ways of life for First Nations and Europeans. Although there have been changes such as the introduction of new resources and tools for both groups, the presence of both groups in our society has remained constant over time.

You should check out my partners post about European settlement: Fraser

Thanks for reading!

✌️bye.