The Outsiders

Intro:

This project involved reading and analyzing the  1965 novel “The Outsiders” by S.E Hinton. We were tasked with exploring the different aspects of worldview and applied elements of worldview to the characters in the novel. We finished this project by creating two tableaux’s of the drive in movie theatre scene at the beginning of The Outsiders. The first tableaux was of the original scene and the second was a transposed version of how it would look in 2021.

Body:

This project has helped me understand how worldview differs from person to person, and how different circumstances affect it. There are seven elements that shape a persons worldview, during this project we undertook several worksheet that helped develop our understanding of worldview and our analysis of the novel(pictured below).

• We created a movie trailer for a modernized version of The Outsiders set in 2021.
  • The Character analysis worksheet helped me understand ponyboy’s worldview.
  • I used the character deck to analyze the novel and the characters.

When comparing my worldview to that of Ponyboy’s I believe economy has a large effect on our differing worldviews.  Ponyboy comes from a very poor background which means he picked on by rich kids, this leads him not liking the Soc’s and only having relationships with fellow greasers. I am from a comfortable economic standing so I do not believe money affects my view of the world as much and it does not effect my relationships with others.

It has also made me think about how coming from poverty affects a persons priorities and mental health. They are always worried about having enough money to pay bills and put food on the table. If Ponyboy’s family did not have these worries I don’t think the events in the book would have played out the same way.

Conclusion:

For  the Tableaux’s our group chose the worldview elements of time and beliefs we decided to keep this for both the original and the 2021 version.  We represent the time element by changing the drive in to a cineplex, the reason for this is because drive theatres are very rare theses days so they wouldn’t be a place where kids hangout. The belief element was chosen because Cherry changes Ponyboy’s belief that all Soc’s aren’t bad. Overall I believe our tableaux was very successful, we worked together to create an engaging and interesting scene from the book.