Argh Matey! Land Ho!

So, you might be thinking it’s a bit weird for there to be a blog post in the middle of “physical distancing.” Well, in fact, it is! If you haven’t read my previous post, check it out  here. It explains how even the biggest hurdles can’t stop PLP! I think I’ll miss that, but onto the project. The one we just completed was kind of a joint projet between Scimatics and Humanities. You might be wondering how Science, Social Studies and English might all be in a project together, but it just involves some creative thinking!!! Some highlights of the project were learning how to pronounce “Dengue virus.” It actually came down to me telling my moms about the project, and then they were like “what on earth is “den-gue.” If you were wondering how it’s actually pronounced, it’s “deng-gei.” Yup, it’s a weird one. Well, lets start from the beginning. I’m going to try and alternate Scimatics Milestones and Humanities, at least until they start being joined.

First, the Driving Question(s)

What is the historical significance of your explorer? (Guess which subject this is for? You got it, Humanities)

How do cells and diseases interact? (Yup, and this is for Scimatics.)

Read more

Witness to History!

Aren’t we all? This is a pretty good title of our project. (I did not come up with it). The theme of this project was that we were witnessing the history of COVID-19. It’s a pretty bad scenario right now, but we can always make the best of it! The way we are trying to do that right now is through photo essays. The driving question of this project was:

How can we, as photojournalists, tell stories of our community during
this period of physical distancing?

And honestly, I think it’s a really good driving question. It really makes you think about multiple things. What do photojournalists do? What is our community? How will I show physical distancing? And these are all the questions I asked in my head upon hearing the driving question. But I have to say, I’m proud of how far I’ve come. And so here is my answer to the driving question. I think it’s pretty hard to answer it with just a few sentences but I’ll try my best. Plus, I also have the photo essay to show my answer. Well, here goes!

Read more

DI Provincials in Self Isolation!

Hello! You might be surprised about this post, but although the provincial tournament for Destination Imagination was canceled, that didn’t stop PLP! After our last competition – check out that post here – the appraisers threw away our bridge. This meant that we had to rebuild a new bridge. Our goal was to get it done in the two weeks we had left before spring break.

Not actually the bridge Jakub made, but a similar model.

While rebuilding our bridge, we tried to focus on the one huge problem we had last time: NOT BUILDING THE BRIDGE FAST ENOUGH!  This was a serious issue because we then ran out of time to finish our skit. But how would we accomplish this? Our goal was to have less pieces. We attempted this, but it was difficult. It meant that each piece had to weigh the same amount, but be bigger. We didn’t get a chance to finish it however, because then came spring break.

Another change we decided to try and make was more practicing. Well, I’m not sure if it’s a change, but it would have certainly been from last time. We thought more practicing could help us assemble the bridge faster, and with greater ease. Also, if you watched the previous video, it would mean less stalling for me and Jakub!

Read more

Destination Imagination (DIying Inside)

Have you ever heard of Destination Imagination? Well if not, it’s a pretty fun program/activity that is focused around project based learning. Destination Imagination  is a series of challenges that involve receiving a challenge and completing it in the form of a play. Our challenge, Engineering, “In the Cards” was a pretty difficult one. It involved building a bridge out of cards and duct tape!

Read more

It’s The End of our World — sorry

Hello again! You might find the title of this post a little strange. (Can I just sentence there? Is a comma called for?) Me and my friends Erin and Indy just recorded our final song and photo essay.

Did you watch it? Does the title make more sense now? If you hadn’t guessed, mine is the part with some apologizing in it. This song is supposed to represent our transition from grade 7 to 8. I have to say, mine wasn’t the easiest. I go to a different school than all my friends. I didn’t have a lot before, but I had 3 or 4 good ones. I do know one person at this new school, and we have become pretty good friends. I wasn’t a supper confident person before, but after switching schools something happened. I didn’t make any new friends, which made me really doubt myself. Because of this… well, I kinda feel like everybody’s judging me. This sounds a bit ridiculous. It drives me crazy, but now I can’t talk properly. At least every 3 sentences has “sorry” in it. Just for being myself.

Read more

THE ULTIMATE DESIGN CHALLENGE!

Taaaaaa daaAAA! *Flush* Don’t worry, I’m not in the bathroom. The object I designed for the Ultimate Design Challenge (or UDC) was a toilet. Specifically a toilet for an airplane. Have you every been in one? They are extremely unpleasant. Me and my group, Ryan and Amy, decided to each design different parts of the toilet. Ryan = the outer walls, Amy = a tray sink. The theme of this project was designing objects for either maximum surface area, or maximum volume. More on this later. My favourite part of this project was designing the object/toilet. At the start, I really struggled with it, but then I got the hang of TinkerCad (the 3D design program.) At the end of the project we had to make a Keynote detailing all the calculations and formulas.

• What it looked like
  • Surface Area to Volume ratio
  • My calculations
  • To much Surface Area!!!

Read more

This Changes Everything… Right?

So… to start with an introduction. Intro… Intro… Intro… Oh well 😔. Maybe I’ll try a different tactic. Back to the bullet points:

Intro

Working everyday! Not getting payed! Not having enough food! That is what life was like for most people in the Middle Ages.

We just finished a project on Change and Continuity in the Middle Ages. Imagine living back then! It would have been really difficult, especially if you were a serf. We started the project by learning about the feudal system. We did a lot of fun activities around this, including each picking a different role. I ended up as a serf and a merchant, and I wrote some interesting things on this. (To be visited later).

Read more

mPOLs… Huh?

mPOLs, what are they? mPOLs are “Mid Year Reflections of Learning.” What we have to do is write a blog post about our year, goals, thoughts, questions and basically reflections about our learning. It is basically the PLP version of parent-teacher conferences, except that these are student lead.

Here is the driving question: What is your learning goal that you want  to reach by the end of this school year, and how will you meet it?

When I first started working on this presentation, I didn’t really know how to “tell a story.” So I decided to start with the things I did know. My favourite thing to do is write, I like writing essays, fiction, and even letters! So maybe if I tried to put it all down on a page that would help. So I wrote bullet points of all the things I wanted to talk about. 

• The project that I failed on

Read more

Star Wars and LAUNCH

Hello again! I know it’s been a while, but we took a break from writing blogs over winter break. But now I’m back!!! In this blog post I will be talking about our “mini Blue Sky” project, and also the winter exhibition. The winter exhibition is when we do a big project and then show off our learning to all the parents and just people who want to come. This time the theme was Star Wars and we transformed the library into the Death Star! Now to the project.

For the mini Blue Sky project, our theme was Star Wars.  To do this project we had to follow the LAUNCH cycle. The driving question was “How can we build an answer to our own inquiry?” 

Read more