Tectonic Plates… What Are They?

So you might already know but I am in PLP (performance learning program). In PLP there is one class that is a combination of math and science: scimatics. In scimatics we just had to write a book about tectonic plates. I learned lots of things including what they are, how they move and why we know about them.

During scimatics we just had to right a book on tectonic plates. So here are the basics. What is a tectonic plate? Tectonic plates are huge plates covering the earth in the crust made of rock. They move on top of the mantle using convection currents. Convection currents are when hot things rise (because they are less dense) and cold things sink (because they are more dense). This creates a circle like motion that moves tectonic plates very slowly over billions of years together and apart.

All this is very great except that I didn’t know all this when I started. So  I had to learn! In class we did a lot of reading textbooks and now I know some more. I asked some questions in a mind map at the start of this project and now I am going to answer them with my new knowledge.

Tectonic plates

Just click on the link above to view the mind map.

Some Core Competencies and how I used them:

“Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence.” I think I used this one by doing research, and then trying to find how this is possible. I think that I could improve on this skill a little in the next project by trying to find more evidence and facts that was necessary.

“Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.” I think I used this competency by finding something that interested me- volcanos, how and why they explode- and then writing a book about them. I think I improved a bit on this competency and that I did a really good job showing this competency and I am proud of my work and learning.

“Applying and innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches.” I read my book to my buddies and I think I did a good job helping them understand it. I asked them some questions at the end and they understood most of the things I said in the book.