Hi, everyone,
In this blog post, I will be writing about my experience in the Carr section of this maker project called Constructing Creative Communication.
First I will explain who Emily Carr is, next I will introduce my artwork, then I will give examples of how art can be used to communicate, and finally, I will share the answer to the driving question.
Who is Emily Carr? Emily Carr is a famous historical Canadian artist. She lived in Victoria for most of her life and loved animals. She was born in 1871 and died in 1945. Her art was inspired by Indigenous people, for instance, she painted totem poles. She was extremely talented and I wish my artwork is at least one percent as good as hers😊

Here is my artwork from my Maker class. We had 6 classes and did one drawing per class. I will show and describe 4 drawings.

This is the first drawing we did for this project. We had to learn how to use pressure effectively to make our very own word art. My word art is my name. My teacher liked how I used the spray paint tool and the crayon. To get the hang of using the tools we created a pattern. My pattern was my name repeated which was the O of my name in tiny letters.

This is the second masterpiece and it is called sketch notes. In my opinion, I find the normal version of notes better because I’ve been using normal notes since I started taking notes. However, I do see the advantages in sketch notes. It’s supposed to help you remember notes better and therefore help you remember information for the big test.

In this next piece of art, we had to learn how to make 3D art by using simple shapes. We could design any robot we wanted as long as we used those shapes. My robot included 3 heads, 2 legs, 2 arms and one body. The body consisted of a semi-circle and some triangles and a rectangle for the shirt. The heads were just rectangles, although now that I look back on them they kind of look like paper bags. I learned how to make better 3D art with this project as my old 3D shapes have looked bad up to this point.

This is a lightbulb I drew. In this lesson, we learned how to do shading properly. Before this class, my shading sucked so I didn’t even do it. But after watching YouTube videos and watching my peers draw for a bit I finally got the hang of it. I took a picture of my lightbulb in a room that light coming just from one side. This created a very distinct shadow that I could draw.

This is my favourite art we did in this project we worked on the perspective of landscapes this is a picture I took up Mt Seymour of the lodge chairlift last summer. I truly enjoyed this one a lot more because I like this type of art more. To make the sky I used spray paint and to do the rest I used the sharpie and fine liner as well as the fill tool. I learned how to draw in different layers for example the background and foreground.

This was the last piece of art and was the most creative. We had to make our logo for a new company that we would design. Mine was We Bike because as you probably know from my About me post I love to mountain bike. I learned how to use shapes and the ruler tool more effectively with the design of this logo.

The driving question: How might I use technology to create and communicate? Art can be used to communicate by writing words but technology can be used for teaching people to learn ASL. For example at my old elementary school children with special needs would get iPads so they can communicate better.
How can I use art to communicate? When my teacher asked this question I don’t think she meant like physically in words I think she might have meant mentally art can give lots of emotions and describe a story. That’s what famous artists do.

Thank you for reading my blog post I will be doing another one next week for the Herzog side.