Hi Everyone,

In this blog post I will write about our newly finished Scimatics project called the Ultimate design challenge. This project was about making a 3D model on a new app for us called Tinkercad. You were allowed to choose your own shape maximizing it for surface area or volume. I chose to do a Skate Park without a bowl just a role in and rails. This project you worked in teams of 2. My partner Daniel made a skate park with a half pipe and a couple of rails and a bench. His was maximized for surface area while mine was maximized for volume.

First I will talk about what we learned, then some screenshots of my final project, and finally my curricular competencies. 

What I learned in this project. In this project I learned how to calculate surface volume and surface area with tones of different shapes but later in the project we also learned how to calculate ratios. Our teacher gave us formulas to calculate the surface area and volume with basic shapes like a cylander, cube, and triangular prisms but we had to find the formula for the rest. I also learned how to use this new app Tinkercad. In this paragraph I would usually include the project mind node but we didn’t do one this project. Here’s some of my formulas and equations for my skate park.

Here is a couple of screenshots of my project. I put in 2 role ins, a couple of boxes, I also added some other shapes that usually wouldn’t be in a skate park but I wanted to be creative, and finally I added some benches in the neck to view and take a break. 

The three core competencies in this project were Applying and Inovating, Reasoning and analyzing, and finally Communicating and representing. 

Applying and Innovating: In this one we had to use all of our class time efficiently without distractions. I did the best I’ve done so far with any project. The only thing I could improve on is talking less to my friends and focus more on work although I got all my assisgnment done on time except for one that was 1 day late.

Reasoning and analyzing: In this core competency we had to make a 3D object using Tinkercad. Which includes being maximized for surface area or volume and including at least 10 shapes. I did really good at this part and got exceeding. But there’s always things to improve on and that for me was making my shapes more life like for example my triangular prisms were pretty steep for a jump and a rail was 30m long and a role in was 70m long with being tall at 30m and it was supposed to be a small role in. But otherwise I did pretty good. 

Communicating and representing: In this one we had to measure all the surface area and volume properly and the ratios and then present it all to the class. I did okay it wasn’t my best because I forgot to include the ration but I new how to do it and I got it done after. So the only thing I could improve on was the ratio.

Thanks for reading this blog post about our newly finished scimatics project.