Tectonic chances

Hello there.

This is my first post for scimatics, so we will see how this goes.

For this project, we had to make a board game about plate tectonics, that uses probability to determine outcomes. For the element of probability, we had to include something like pulling a card, rolling a dice, spinning a spinner etc. Our driving question was Β« how are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design? Β» Throughout this project I have really learned quite a bit on the creation of board games, and about how mathematical and thematic events are used in game design. I never really thought about the creation of board games, just played them, but now I know what goes into making a good board game.

One of the first things we did was create a mind note about plate tectonics. At the start, we didnt know what they were, what the heck they did, and what they had to do with earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, and mountains. As this project went on, we learned more and more, and kept building knowledge. After we had completed our board games, we went back, and answered our questions. The first questions are the ones we asked at the start of the project. The answer are the second or third branch.

Core competencies

Evaluating: demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence. For this competency I was extending. I had 10 key science concepts, and the explanations of why they were there. Our game pieces also represented tectonic concepts because our cards had questions and things that relate to tectonic plates, our game board had visual zones representing earthquakes volcanos and tsunamis, and our game pieces also had things like the earth, waves, a map, and a volcano.Β 

Questioning and predicting: demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

In this competency I was accomplished. I think that I could have been extending, but at times, I was a bit distracted, and wasn’t getting work done. I think that if I had used the focus modes on my ipad more, it would have stopped the messages from popping up, and I would have gotten less distracted. I think that I also showed quite a large interest with this topic, because I find it very interesting.

Understanding and solving: Dovelop, demonstrate and apply mathematical understanding through play, inquiry, and problem solving.Β 

For this competency, I was extending. I think that I did a good job of adding an element of probability into my game. When I say element of probability, I mean pulling a card, spinning a spinner, rolling a dice etc. In our game, I added an element of probability by making players pull a card for the chance, natural disaster, special and trivia cards. I also made it so that the players had to roll a die. I also added the probability of landing on certain spaces, and pulling different cards

This is our final game rules, and photos of our game and peices.

although thorough out this post I only referred to myself, I would like to give a huge that you to my partner Sydney. She did a ton on this project, bringing good ideas to the table, and thinking of creative solutions. Click here to check out her blog!

once again a big thank you to Sydney.

thanks for reading πŸ™‚

-keira