Chemistry and coding. The project where I procrastinate way too much.

Hello there inhabitant of earth. If you aren’t one then please why are you here and how did you get this site?

anyways, welcome or welcome back to my blog.

For the past little while on scimatics, we have been working on our most recent project, chemistry coding. Our task was to build a matter game or simulator. We had to show the three states of matter, and be able to change the temperature to make the atoms move differently.

The first milestone as always was our project start mind map. We were asked to make a mind map with all of the information we knew about the atomic theory, the kinetic molecular theory and the three states of matter. In my case, I didn’t know much, so I looked up definitions on google and filled in anything I knew. There was a lot that I knew about the states of matter, but I knew nothing about the atomic theory or the kinetic molecular theory. We also brainstormed questions that we had in groups of 4, and then we went around and looked at each other’s questions, and took note of any we wanted to add to our own mind map. For once, I didn’t have like a thousand questions, instead I only had a few.

Milestone 2

milestone 2 was our atomic models. We learned about the different types of atomic models, and who invented them, and also the structure of an atom. We were then asked to choose three different atoms or molecules and use three different model types, to make three different models of atoms. The atoms and molecules that I used were caffeine, copper, and thulium.  We had to draw these, either freehand or traced. We ended up using these in our final game or simulator. I thought that this was important because these are the atoms and molecules that are floating around our game.

How to make a scratch game in ten, foolproof easy steps.
step 1 – go to scratch.mit.edu
Step 2 – watch a tutorial
step 3 – follow tutorial
Step 5 – attempt to make something on your own
step 6 – fail and give up, thinking you will finish it later
step 7 – procrastinate, procrastinate and yep, you quested it, procrastinate some more
step 8 – try again in about a week. Give up. Cry.
step 9 – a day or two before it is due, try it again. Have some success.
step 10 – turn it in late.

as you can tell, scratch is an extremely easy to use website. It is recommended for people of all ages. Yep! 100% success rate!

Anywaysssssss….

if you’ve been reading my blog posts for scimatics you should know by now that we have to focus on the core competencies. AAAAAAA NOT THE CORE COMPITENCIES! I JUST FINISHED ESCAPING THEMMMM. NOOOOOOOOO.

oops sorry about that, I must have misclicked something.

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. All class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions. I think that I could have managed my time a lot better during this project. I didn’t work on my project most of the time during class time, and when I did it was for only a little but, and usually ended in me giving up and telling myself that I would do it later. I never did. I could have tried to work on it even when in class so I could get help. I’m pretty sure that I also didn’t turn in a few workbooks. Overall I need to work on my procrastination skills. Overall I think that I was developing.

Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies Several different atoms/ molecules, different states of matter, and particle motion are represented in the finished product. A historical model of the atom is chosen and Implemented. I think that I did a decent job on this competency. In my game I have three different atoms or molecules, and they are all represented using a different type of model. In my game I also have buttons that you can press to make the temperature rise or fall, which makes the atoms move slower or faster depending on the temperature. For example the more you click the lower temperature button, the slower the atoms will move. If you lower the temperature enough on any type of atom or molecule, in the real world and in my game, the items will slow down and move in closer formation. This is essentially what freezing is. If you were to add enough heat into the simulator, the Adams will be moving out extremely rapid pieces, and will have no specific pattern. This represents the steam. Overall I think that I was accomplished in this competency.

Reasoning and analyzing: Use logic and patterns (including coding) to solve puzzles and play games.An interactive Scratch coded matter simulator or game is created with logical conditions and functional user controls. I think that I was accomplished in this competency. My controls are pretty simple im my opinion. You press one button, the temperature goes up. You press another, the temperature goes down. If you need help you press the question mark button, to go back to the homepage you press the arrow. To select the atom or molecule you would like you select one on the home page. I think that I could definitely have some more practice in my coating skills.because it took me a while to get the backgrounds to change even. And that is a very simple thing that I probably should have already known how to do.

Overall this project was a little bit more difficult for me. I have always had mixed opinions about coding.atoms and molecules or something that I had already learned about it was a little easier on that subject, because I remembered the things that I had already learned in past years of school. I think that with a little more practice my coding skills could get better. Another thing I think I need to work on is like I said my procrastination skills. With that said, this project was still quite fun, Lighting soap and another type of gas (that I can’t seem to remember) on fire and creating fire clouds was really fun, and doing the gem density test was also quite fun.

Here are some other photos from the project. If you have made it this far, thanks for reading.