The more things change summative post

What did European settlement mean for all the people involved?  

European settlement resulted in Europeans and First Nations trading goods and services. The goods that they traded has changed over time, but economic relationships between groups of people has remained similar. 

“ What did European settlement mean for all the people involved?” That was the driving question of this project which revolved around European settlement in Canada. The meaning of the project the more things change comes from one of the topics we learned about in the project called continuity and change we would have our topic and we would think to ourselves what has changed and what has remained constant?

To Improve our understanding of the project we took a lot of notes in our “ New France project notes template “ that notes template was very helpful when doing weekly reflections and while working on my infographic 

For this project we had to make an infographic in Canva to show everything we know about European settlement in North America. Me and my project partner Ben made our infographic revolve around trade and alliances between Europeans and First Nations. Here is our infographic: 

After we finished our infographic we made a script explaining our infographic in keynote then we recorded our selves reading our script and put it on YouTube. Here is our YouTube video:

This project really helped us understand how to use certain apps like Keynote and Canva and grew our learning about European settlement in what we know today as North America.

D.I summative post

Destination Imagination was the name of the project I will be talking about today. Destination Imagination or D.I was a very different project. It was very hard to understand what we were supposed to do at first. But then I quickly caught onto what we were supposed to do. We were assigned one of the following 3 topics: Engineering, Fine Arts and Technical. I was assigned to the engineering group where our task was to build a 3D model of a building and then film a mini movie about the building model that you built.

To prepare for the final video we got these periods of time where we would make up a mini story and we would have to act them out in front of the judges. For each one we were given a different subject.

Our final story was about 3 architects who build a recreational centre and have to come up with what kind of architectural styles they want to use and they came up with Post Modernist style and Aboriginal art as well. The story was supposed to show how opposite styles can be complimentary. After about a couple weeks of filming and editing we came up with our final product. You can view our video here:

In the end I think me and my group did a great job planning out everything and filming. I am very happy to have experience a project like this.

Argh Matey summative post

Today’s post will be about our Argh Matey project which was about the age of piracy.

We first watched a movie about modern day pirates in Somalia so we could understand why they were pirates and what was there motivation for what they did. We learned that pirates were mainly motivated to be pirates because of poverty. In the movie we watched the Somalian pirates hijacked a cargo ship and then took the resources and took the captain of the ship for ransom money. In the end the US navy had to shoot the Somalian pirates because they weren’t cooperating in giving back the captain of the ship. That movie really helped me understand what pirates did and what they were motivated to do.

The main focus of our project was early pirates from the age of exploration and the different types of pirates from that age. One of the more interesting types of pirates were the Barbary pirates who were from Africa and would kidnap Europeans and would take them as slaves but they had a choice to be released if they wanted to but they had to do one thing. The Barbary pirates would set them free if they were successfully converted to Islam.

Our final product was to make a mini movie with this new app that we were introduced to called AR Makr which was a really cool app actually, you got to draw objects then put them in the app and you open a camera and you could put your objects around in the space on your camera and you could walk around 3D objects. So we had to make a script of what Christopher Columbus and/or England and France did to venture over to the new land which is now known as North and South America. Here is my script:

After we had made our script we would film our 3d AR Makr video and then voice over our script then we would post it onto YouTube.

This project overall was pretty cool and fun to learn about even though it was a shorter project then normal.

Final student blogging challenge

Today is the last day of the student blogging challenge so I’m going to reflect on the recent posts that I have done as well as some other things. On day 3 of the student blogging challenge we got to write about a topic that interested in and imbed a YouTube video into the post. For my post I talked about my favourite soccer team, Manchester United then I put in a YouTube video of my favourite Manchester United player Robin Van Persie scoring a stunner of a goal against Swansea City. My other favourite post of the student blogging challenge was my previous post about my favourite basketball tournament March Madness.

The blogging challenge really helped me with my writing and was really fun to write about the topics that interest us. I hope in the future we get to do more projects like this one because it was really cool to write about some fun topics.

As the blogging challenge went on my blogs started to get a little better each time which I am glad to see. In conclusion I really enjoyed this project and am glad that it helped me with my writing skills.

Growth Mindset

The project I’m going to write about is called the growth mindset challenge. This project was a surprise to me because I had never heard of growth and fixed mindset until we started this project. We learned about a lot of things like Having grit and that failing is just the first attempt and learning and if you don’t fail then you wont learn. This project gave me a totally different perspective on school and the academic system. For example we learned that being intelligent doesn’t really mean anything and doesn’t get you anywhere. You can be intelligent but you need to have grit and perseverance to show that knowledge.

Our task was to make a growth mindset journal which we made an entry every time we learned about a new topic on growth mindset. You can view my growth mindset journal here

https://read.bookcreator.com/U3LTEZCoYyT8YL5wV6diKoa6cB93/0dJqk7tjR0KoghmQ-QpudQ

From learning about grit to learning about failure as a first attempt at learning it really taught me a lot and I feel that it will really help me not just academically but in the world as well.

Our final product was to make a growth mindset selfie which would have your goal for the school year and you would put a text of that goal over your the head of the selfie you took.

My goal for the school year was “ I will ask for help from trusted people about what should be the focus of my learning.

Overall from making my growth mindset journal to my growth mindset selfie this project was really interesting and I think it was a good subject to learn about as it can help us in anything like school or sports.

March Madness

Spring Break is just under a week away and since we can’t travel I have other plans. Every March there is a college basketball tournament called March Madness. It is definitely one of the most exciting tournaments to watch for sure. My favourite team to cheer for in this tournament is North Carolina Tar Heels. The Tar Heels are usually one of the best teams in the tournament and over the years some very well known basketball players have come out of North Carolina for example players like Michael Jordan, Vince Carter and James Worthy.  

Unfortunately last march there wasn’t a March madness because of Covid. So this year I will be very pumped to watch this tournament since last year I didn’t get to. The Tar Heels have won this tournament 6 times and have been the runners up 7 times. The most recent time they won the tournament 71-65 against Gonzaga in 2017. You can watch the highlights of the 2017 tournament here:

I am very excited to watch the tournament this year and I hope to watch to some very entertaining Basketball.

Winter blog post

Hello, welcome to day 9 of the student blogging challenge. Today we are doing a post on the holidays we celebrate. My family’s favourite holiday would have to be Christmas. Every Christmas I go and visit my mom and her family in Bella Coola. Every Christmas we go sledding and skiing and everything that relates to the winter.  

This photo reminds me of winter because it is always very snowy in Bella Coola. Here’s what its like driving in the winter in Bella Coola:

How it started/how its going summative post

Our newest project’s name was called “how it started / How its going” and it revolved around Medieval and Renaissance art. Our driving question of the project was what can we learn from the past, and why does it matter to us today? One of the first assignments we got was the “my history test” which was a one question test. The question was “What historically significant events help shape our worldview?” Which is a very interesting question and it really made me think.

Our main project was to find a piece of Medieval or Renaissance art and then make it more modern by adding our face on one of the people in the photo and adding stuff like IPhones, AirPods, planes and new types of clothes which didn’t exist back then. Here Is my art that I created: 

For the final project we had to make an artist statement on the artwork we made which connected to the worldview aspect our group was given. For my group I was given the task of being a flex group member which means that I helped with everything. For example if someone needed help writing a script or something I would step in and help them finish it. 

We talked about historical significance a lot during this project. We would find an event back in medieval or Renaissance times and we would say why it is historically significant today like for example we talked a lot about the printing press. It was made back in the Renaissance times and it is very historically significant because we now use printers in our everyday lives.

On most of our assignments we were graded on one big topic which was “How might I use technology to construct knowledge” throughout the project we used a new app called SuperimposeX which I had never used before and it had a big role in helping construct my project. I also learned how to use the Google Arts and culture app which helped me find my piece of art which led to my final project.

On the final day of our project we had a big PLP 8 Zoom meeting where we talked about our roles in the project and how we helped shape the final product. I was in Flex group one. A flex member is a person who helps his or her group members on every task that needs working on. After the Zoom meeting ended everyone went onto the virtual museum. The virtual museum was what we were working on with our groups. When you went into this virtual museum you could see everyone’s art work. If you clicked on someone’s art work it would play their voice recorded artist statement. Here is my artist statement: 

I had lots of fun making this project and I hope we can do more projects similar to this one in the future.

Manchester United: Day 3 post

I love to watch soccer, Its one of my favourite things to do. When it comes to which team I like the most it would have to be Manchester United. I fell in love watching them when I was about 4 years old when I got to see them play in Seattle. I was drawn to their fast flowing style of play and how exciting the games were. They were definitely one of the most fun teams to watch back then.

Their manager back then was Sir Alex Ferguson who is considered the most successful managers in the history of world soccer. At the end of the 2012/2013 season Sir Alex Ferguson decided to step down from the manager position and retire. The following season they appointed David Moyes as their new manager. In Moyes’s first game they won 4-1 against Swansea City with a great bicycle kick goal from my favourite Manchester United player Robin Van Persie

That game was the start of the new era for Manchester United. In past seasons they haven’t been at their best and haven’t won a league title ever since Sir Alex was manager but taking a look at their current spot in the league table shows me that we have a good shot to bring the league title back to Old Trafford.

Music Blog post

I play the electric base guitar. The electric base guitar only has four strings unlike the electric guitar’s six strings. The four strings the base guitar has is E-A-D-G. The base guitar is actually very different compared to the electric guitar for example a base guitar as a deeper sound when on the other hand the electric guitar is a little more high pitched.

I have been playing the base guitar for 4 years now and it wasn’t super easy to learn at first but now I know how to play it pretty good. I am still learning new songs but my favourite songs to play would have to be money by Pink Floyd and Viva la vida by Coldplay.