Romeo & Juliet but slightly chaotic

Hello and welcome back to my blog! It’s been awhile since I’ve written a summative post but along with a summative post means an end to a project, which you would know about if you’ve been keeping up with my weekly posts or my most recent podcast episodes.


If you haven’t been then that is fine as that is exactly what this post is about, and it all started with the driving question of this project which is, How can we present a live audio story that makes an audience appreciate the relevance of Shakespeare?. We started by making our own story which fits into the plot of Romeo and Juliet but was still modernized. Me of course decided to make mine about mountain biking so I rewrote it with a mountain biker and a road biker getting over their hatred for each other and the modern part was a fight over social media. I knew immediately after writing it, that is was not going to be acted on stage so over the next few weeks I kept working on my understanding of the story and diving deeper into a few key details like. What is makes a classic, and what is an adaptation. These two questions sparked some great conversations  which we chose to talk about in our podcast, so coming from two questions came the next part of our project which we spent two weeks to make the podcast episodes below. 

I don’t feel as if they really did much to answer the driving question but they did a great job for me to better understand Romeo and Juliet so I’m including it in this post.

As soon as we finished our podcast episodes we immediately switched into making the play. We were all put into groups which would match our strengths. I was put into the creative team which meant we were in charge of making our play unique and what we spent most of our time on was casting characters. Before we started this I thought it was a very easy process which didn’t require that much time or effort but we ended taking it very seriously to the point where we had people audition for their part and we decided as a group to put them as a character we felt suited their acting style. We faced many problems along the way but I think since we were so diligent with the casting process it made our play much more immersive as everyone had a role which was easy to act for them. Other than this we did some smaller tasks like deciding on costumes and working with the sound team to find sound effects which will add to the play. I think we answered the driving question really well in the end and having it shown as a play was a fun and effective way to answer it. 

If you’re wondering what we did after all that planning… Rehearse… 

Leave a Reply

Skip to toolbar