Luca’s Thoughts

Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement.

Weekly Reflection Week #3

The Women’s Rights movement had an immense impact on the 20th century, and this historical significance is still relevant today. I had previously learned that in the 1950s women’s rights declined because of the gender roles and stereotypes, but I didn’t realize how complicated the Women’s Rights movement became after the fifties. By the third wave of feminism, there was not only women agains the movement, but a general hostility from religious and political parties. In the US this played more of a part, and even in Canada there wasn’t fundamental Women’s Rights on matters as simple as marital rape until 1982. I have also learned to research the surrounding historical events to see their impact on Women’s Rights. I learned that just like the American presidency events happen for a reason. This can also be compared to a scale, weighing down one side of the scale effects both sides equally. Really what I am trying to say is that everything is connected.

As our class read/watched The Taming of the Shrew, I immediately connect the dispute over who was the real shrew (Bianca or Kate), to women’s gender roles. Even to this day if someone doesn’t conform to gender roles or stereotypes they are looked at negatively, where in fact this decision has no connections their morals, or ethics. Just because someone might wear certain clothes doesn’t mean you should judge them on anything other than their style. This is very similar to the lesson that you should never judge a book by its cover.  Shakespeare uses this concept to paint Kate as an evil/ugly person by suggesting that she has shrew like qualities, and Bianca is able to fool the audience by conforming to gender roles. As I have gotten to understand the characters it has become more apparent that Bianca is a undercover shrew, and Kate uses these shrew like qualities as an exoskeleton. I’m really excited to read the rest of the play, so I can discover if my hypothesis is true.