I Forgot About This!

I know you guys have heard and read about my series of posts titled “This Week I learned”, But you may have noticed that the supposed ‘Trilogy’ is not completed. That is mostly because I completely forgot to do this last TWIL post! Shame on me… Anyways, looking back on all of my learning during our Macbeth unit, I will be completing the holy trinity known as the “This Week I learned” trilogy with my third and final post. Lets get started!

So, while reading Macbeth and simultaneously studying the cold war and the 1950’s I kept coming back to this connection between the two that without a protected and functioning hierarchy. Society will begin to crumble. This is pretty obvious in both topics and I could just leave it at that and close this post, but I would like to take a few minutes to dive deeper into this.

In act four of Macbeth, Macbeth is informed that Macduff is on his way to punish (Murder) him for the terrible things he has done, (such as murdering the king and framing the guards so he could come into power). This is one of the main turning points in the play as it shows the drastic change between Macbeth being greedy and wanting power, to him just trying to stay alive. Obviously this doesn’t work out for him.

I found a really great connection between this and the 1950’s through Russia’s strive for communism (which symbolizes Macbeth’s strive for power) and the United States’ retaliation (symbolizing Macduff avenging the throne).  In my opinion, this is one of the biggest connections I can think about when I draw back to our Macbeth/1950’s unit.

Well, I think that pretty much does it! I hope you enjoyed my third and final TWIL post. And I hope you stay safe and healthy during this pandemic.