Humanities · Maker · Scimatics

I’ve really learned a lot this year

Hi! Today I’m going to talk/write about my mPOL. If you didn’t know this stands for Mid-Year presentation of learning. In my mPOL i’m going to talk about all my favourite projects this year and what I learned from them. I am also going to answer the driving question “How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?”.

Learning habits and systems 

One of the habits/systems I’ve gotten this year is using the app “Things”. Things is an app which you can put an assignments you have and put a due date to help keep you organized. You can also add to do lists and notes to help you remember the important parts of the criteria. Things has helped keep me organized throughout the whole year so I’ve been able to hand everything in on time. Another habit/system I’ve gotten this year is plugging my iPad in every night so I’m prepared for the next day of school.

Core competency 

Communication: For this my goal was to get to profile 3. Profile 3 was “I communicate purposefully, using forms and strategies I have practiced. I feel like I am on my way to achieving this. One project that really helped me achieve this was the poetry project, because in poetry we had to learn how to speak with meaning to preform our poetry live. I feel like i could work on communicating more ideas when i’m doing group projects because I usually have very good ideas but I don’t share them.

Collaborating: My goal for this was profile 2. Profile 2 was “In familiar situations, I cooperate with others for specific purposes”. I feel like I’ve accomplished this because in familiar situations i’m able to collaborate with other people and help my teams succeed. 

Creative thinking: For this I was aiming to get to Profile 3. Profile 3 was “I can get new ideas in areas in which I have an interest and build my skills to make them work”. I feel like i have almost accomplished this. I am able to come up with ideas about certain topics. One way I show this skill is by my mind maps which I’ve done in scimatics before.

Critical and Reflective Thinking: I was aiming for profile 4. Profile 4 is “I can gather and combine new evidence with what I already know to develop reasoned conclusions, judgments, or plans”. I am definitely working towards this goal. I am now able to gather evidence and develop my own conclusions, but I still have a lot of trouble doing this. 

Personal Awareness and Responsibility: The profile I choose to aim for was Profile 3: I can make choices that help me meet my wants and needs and increase my feelings of well-being. I take responsibility for my actions. I feel like I have definitely accomplished this goal. I’ve become really good at making decisions that don’t hurt me and I also almost always take responsibility for my actions.

Positive Personal and Cultural Identity: For this I was aiming to get to Profile 4. Profile 4 is “I have pride in who I am. I understand that I am a part of larger communities.” I feel like I have accomplished this. I have pride in who I am but i also recognize that I am part of larger community and I need to respect other people.

Social Awareness and Responsibility: For this I chose Profile 2: In familiar settings, I can interact with others and my surroundings respectfully. I think that I have accomplished this because I am able to respect the people around me and in familiar settings I am able to help the people around me.

What I have learned this year 

Humanities                                                                                                                               

In Humanities my favourite project was definitely Medium is Message, because I want to go to business college and one day open a successful business so I was very fun being able to
work with clients and learn how the world of advertising works. I also really enjoyed designing the ad and I was very proud when my ad got chosen. I feel like I could have worked on my communication skills during this project because I didn’t talk much during the interview and I could have added more ideas to our group ad.

Scimatics 

My favourite project in scimatics was definitely Laser laws whichever we just finished this week. I learned a lot about how light works and how to work with a team to make something very difficult to accomplish easier. I also loved how we got to actually make a laser display instead of just working on textbooks about lasers, this is one of the reason why I enjoy PLP so much. What I could have worked on was communicating with my team more. I did help but I didn’t really come up with any of the main ideas so I could have done better on that.

Maker                                                                                                                                        

My favourite project in maker was constructive creative communication. I learned all about
communicating in different ways, using photography and art. I really enjoyed this project because I love making art. My favourite thing I made in this project was the still life object. For this I drew a cactus and used shading and perspective to make it look more realistic. I also really enjoyed the photography section. I learned about using perspective and filters. Learning how to use editing apps and taking creative photos has really helped me make my blog more creative. I could have improved on doing well in every assignment because I definitely did better on some assignments than others.