Humanities

Adventuring Alberta 🏔️🌊

We just went on an amazing field study to Alberta!!! We traveled to Calgary and different cities and landmarks around Alberta and BC. I had lots of fun and got to pursue my interest in photography. Here are some of the best photos I took.

Random Stop on the Highway, BC

Takakkaw Falls, BC

Peyto Lake, Alberta

The whole learning aspect of this Field Study was “How has the geography of the west shaped us”? We used photos from different locations and landmarks as evidence to answer this question. My final sentence answer was “The geography of the west has shaped us by affecting the types of people and cultures that live and visit Canada”. Some ways that it effects the people that move here is job opportunities, we have lots of jobs in construction, agriculture, forestry and tourism because of our beautiful landscapes and nature.

We learned about Buffalo, The CPR, 100 years of BC’s history and the economics of BC, to help us create evidence to answer the Driving Question.

Buffalo- The  Buffalo were a very important part of the West’s History. The Buffalo Hunt was where the Plains and Mètis peoples acquired their primary food source. In the 1880s there was a collapse of Buffalo herds due to the Europeans killing them. They believed that if they killed off all of the Buffalo they could get the Indigenous Peoples to rely on them for a food source and then force them to sign treaty’s, to let the Europeans use their land. In the early 19th there were thousands upon thousand of buffalo but by the late 19th century their numbers were in the low hundreds. You can read more about the buffalo and Buffalo Jumps on page 17 of my book.

The CPR-  The CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) was a very important part of BC’s and the West’s history. It was a railway built to connect the east of Canada to the West. It enabled the travel of  ideas, goods and people. You can read more about the CPR and Last Spike on page 9 of my book. 

You can read more into detail about some of these topics on page 7 of my e-book. 

To show what we learned we had an exhibition. We presented our books to our parents and explained what we learned on the field study. I presented to about 5 different parents and I really enjoyed being able to share what I learned on the field study. I feel like I did good at communicating with my group and I was able to contribute to help make our exhibition successful. 

We had to work on our questioning skills throughout this whole project. We learned how to share ideas, ask questions and research information from a variety of sources. Learning these skills helped us be able to build evidence to answer the driving question and create personal connections between images and text. I’m now able to come up with questions to help me understand topics were learning and I can now analyze information and relate it back to an image or text.

I had a last of fun in Alberta and one of my favourite parts was zip-lining and down-hill carting. I also enjoyed seeing all the beautiful scenery and getting to know my peers better. Thank you for reading. Hope you have a great day!!!