Hello, welcome back to my blog! I have not posted for a while but we have moved back toΒ Scimatics, so this is the our first project for Quarter 4. For this project the goal was to create and code a simulation or game in scratch (app/website we coded everything on) but it also had to include the kinetic molecular theory. But before get started next time someone asks β€œWhat’s the Matter” say β€œtechnically everything is matter” and tell them Sabrina said so, as she said in one of her YouTube videos that we learned about so go check it out.

Driving Question:
As you may know every project has a driving question so for this project the driving question was β€œHow can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory?” So I answered this in my matter simulator by adding different types of particles which can form into different states of matter also known as solid, liquid, and gas. I will be talking more about it as well as link down below.

Milestone 1:

We start off every Scimatics project by making a mind map with questions we have about the project and what we already know about the subject. This is known as Milestone 1. Throughout the project we add on to the mind map until the end when we hand it in and as I like to do, add it into my blog post so go check mine out down below. I like making these because I think it’s a great way to show how much I’ve learned. On my mind map there’s three different sections one for questions, one for what I already knew, and lastly one for mostly everything I’ve learned.

Chemistry Coding Mind Map

Milestone 5:

This brings us back to my simulator. As I mentioned above the goal was to create either a game or simulator. I chose to make a simulator because after watching many scratch tutorials as well as getting some assistance from some friends, I learned how code everything I needed to accomplish my simulator. This completed simulator is known as milestone 5. I personally liked making this simulator but it also was challenging at some parts especially for some of the really complicated coding. But after all the hours I spent coding I am very happy with how it turned out. So go check it out and comment how you liked it.

Curricular Competencies:

Questioning and Predicting:

I feel that I demonstrated this competency by working with my classmates to not only get help and feedback, but to also help them with there coding problems. I think we worked very well together while getting our work done and handed in on time. One thing I could have done better on was making sure that I was on task the whole time.

Scientific Communication:

I think that I did a pretty good with this competency because for my simulator I included the different states of matter, particles, as well as having them be able to move around and when on cue be able to switch to another state of matter or another type of particle. Throughout my simulator I also have a little animal telling the instructions as well as say how everything works and why. One thing I could improve on is what particles are atoms and which ones are molecules, and making sure I have some of both.

Reasoning and Analyzing:

I accomplished this competency because in the end I had an interactive simulator that I coded, which included functional buttons, and correct facts. If I were to do this project again I think I would add more creative and unique things like more colours or something like that.

Overall I enjoyed this project and learned a LOT about matter, density, volume, mass, atoms, molecules, kinetic energy, and more. If you want to read more about almost everything we learned scroll back up to my mind map. But other then that I hope you guys enjoyed this post!

-Makenna

P.S-At the start of the project we got to do an experiment which had to do with the density of an object which I found really cool.