As a child, I never wanted fun to end. It was a concept unknown to me. I always wanted to keep that feeling of euphoria going, because it was something enjoyable and honestly, I think anyone that feels a glimpse of that would never want the fun to end either. When Disneyland first opened in 1955, America felt that feeling. It was madness, at the opening 28,000 people showed up, half of the country tuned in to watch and it was hotter than ever. Guests’ shoes would start sticking and sinking into the pavement! But that didn’t stop America. This became one of the most revolutionary openings in the history of America. But why? Why was Disneyland deemed the happiest place on earth? Why is it considered a piece of Americana history? What is so special about an adventure park? We’re here to answer that today, so buckle your seatbelts and get ready for a rush, this is euphoria.

Euphoria; is the experience (or affect) of pleasure or excitement and intense feelings of well-being and happiness.

Disneyland’s main motto is as follows: ‘Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy’. As you enter the park you see this on a sign right above your head on a plaque. This indicates that you are leaving reality, leaving a world with problems and imperfections, and entering a world of fantasy and really this becomes your days escape. I thought about this concept for a while, mostly thinking about how this is stupid. I mean yeah escaping to a world of fantasy for a couple hours is fun, but wouldn’t you feel worse about your problems after getting back? But for Disneyland, it created this life long sense of security for America. People felt so connected to this place, memories were made there, it was a saviour for some.

“Disneyland created an image of America, that the people would like to think exists.” This is a powerful line. I think this really shows the premise of what I’m trying to say here. It’s fascinating to me that people really used something as simple as a adventure park to make themselves feel this sense of security and safeness. Disneyland was something that America could use to escape from the world, let alone one single person. I think the motto doesn’t only take about ‘you’ leaving today and entering a world of fantasy. I think it applies to the entire country. In my opinion, the concept of Disneyland made people think of themselves as a true American, and this was what influenced Disneyland to be considered a crucial part of Americana history. They didn’t want the fun to end, and through this process Disneyland embedded itself into the literal heart and soul of the people. To the outside world, Walt Disney and Disneyland was the window into the American psyche. It showed them a model of who America was, and who they wanted to be.

Americans were basking in this, it was their time to shine. It was their euphoria.