How Far is Shrew Far

Starting today, I’m introducing a new type of post on my blog. Similar to my TWIL posts last year. For the next five or so weeks I’ll be posting weekly. These posts won’t necessarily be the longest posts, but more so constant updates on what I learned, discussed, liked or disliked throughout the last week.

For the first weekly post, I’ll be covering the intro to “Shrew You!” The project I will be working on in PLP for the next 5 weeks. So far I don’t know too much. I don’t know the driving question or much of what we will be discussing in class but here’s what I do know. I know this unit will revolve at least somewhat around the William Shakespeare play “The Taming Of The Shrew”. I haven’t seen this play in any capacity so I’m keeping a nice growth mindset on the upcoming project. I know that this project will be very writing heavy. Something I can be very good at (emphasis on can). I hope the project is interesting or if I don’t find it interesting I am able to find ways to make it interesting.

One of Shakespeare’s many plays

So far what we have done is a lot of class discussion on one main topic. How far is too far? To put this in context. We looked at several videos that having people saying the word “slut” in different situations and at different points in time. The question always being is this use of the word ok? In my opinion, conversations like this always make you feel on edge. Especially since this derogatory term is used almost exclusively towards women, I wouldn’t want to say the wrong thing. On the other hand I do think that these are the conversation that need to be had. Conversations that are touchy and hard to speak about are usually the ones that matter. Ones where there are going to be controversial opinions and hot takes. We also watched a video on the remarks Jane Thornthwaite made about Bowin Ma. Here’s the video

Because I don’t know what Taming of the Shrew is about, my best guess is something controversial and something that also has a lot to do with women’s rights. As we move forward I am excited to learn more about Taming of the Shrew in relation to women!