Day 6 – Music

Music is important to me. I try to listen to music, old and new, in every spare minute I have. 

While I’m fond of many genres, there is one that always seems to be looked over in my opinion, which is the music found in video games. Ever since I began playing video games, I have always noticed the presence of music in games, whether its big like Floral Fury  from Cuphead, or small, like Beneath The Mask , from Persona 5.

I believe game music is often overlooked, just because of the medium it is broadcasted through. I think music is hugely important in the production of a game. If a game didn’t have music, then the game would be pretty dull, even if the game itself was good. Music at the right time can make an epic scene even more awesome, or a sad moment even more sentimental. 

Some of the best music in video games comes from classic titles, and I personally think that there was better music in video games made ten years ago, that there are some songs that are instantly recognizable today. There’s nothing wrong with music in games made in the last decade, but some of the music sounds too forgettable, and doesn’t really capture the scene its supposed to present. 

Timing is key with music in games. If a track comes in at the wrong time, it will be something the audience remembers about an important moment, and it can make the game look rushed, or make the moment seem unimportant. But when a song comes in at the perfect moment, it can make a moment memorable, and polished. Below, I have compiled some of the best music in video games ( In no particular order ).

One Winged Angel 

Super Mario World Ending Theme 

K.K Cruisin 

Xenoblade Medley

Life Will Change  

Holland / Dalarna 

Opening – the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 

Gusty Garden Galaxy  

Dragon Roost Island 

These are only some of my favourite tracks. I would include more if I had the time or space to do so. I chose these few as some of the best, firstly because they are excellent musical tracks, and secondly because the timing of these songs in their respective games is above average. 

Also, many of these songs are from games developed or published by Nintendo. I have stated before, and I will state again that I am especially fond of Nintendo’s work over others. 

I have also constructed a longer playlist of music that I like:

Best Game 2  

( disclaimer: much of the music in this playlist are not the original songs, some are covers.)

To summarize/wrap this up; 

game music is a genre of music, that in my opinion, is largely ignored. Many spectacular tracks have come from mixtapes that were originally in video games, yet people have shunned the medium from which they came, which was video games. 

Game music has a large and prosperous history, and some of the best music came from games made twenty years ago, whereas music in games made recently could be better. 

Overall, game music is generally well received and liked, although not enough attention is paid to it.

Short Survey:

https://forms.gle/rwbXHV4gEopKPUUK7 

3 Replies to “Day 6 – Music”

1. The Super Mario Galaxy soundtracks hit different

1. It does, doesn’t it. Especially Gusty Garden Galaxy.

2. You ever hear the Far Cry 5 soundtrack? Its a slapper