Chemistry Coding Post

Hi everyone, and welcome back to my blog.

Today I’ll be writing about the project I have been doing in Scimatics 8.

This project was based around the “Kinetic Molecular Theory” and coding.

The kinetic molecular theory describes how atoms react differently to various states of matter. And how when changes of state occur, a change in particle motion happens as well.

Everything in PLP is guided by the “driving question”.

The driving question to this project was “How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory?”

My answer to that is that it can be explained through different game inspirations and through various simulators.

The first step to this project was creating a “project start mind map”. This mind map included our “need to knows”, things that we already knew, and examples. At the time the only thing that I knew about atoms was that they are small. I was quite familiar with these mind maps since I had done a few of them in past projects. This mind map was Milestone 1 in the project.

Also, at the end of the project we answered any of our previous need to knows.

Since the final product was a coded game, the next step was to start building up to that. One of the key pieces in the evaluation criteria was including historical models from different scientists. Before we could choose our models, we first had to build knowledge on these scientists theories and discoveries.

To do that we did some workbook practice. Later on in the project we also did a test on the theories and models. 

For my game, I chose to include models from Niels Bohr and Ernest Rutherford.

All projects in PLP are guided by the Curricular Competencies. To demonstrate my learning further, I’m going to list what I think I did well and what could be improved.

Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

I think that during the project there were times where I was not focused. However, near the end I was really putting in the extra effort to get things done and elaborate with all of my ideas.

Scientific Communication: Communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies.

It took me some time to communicate ideas and put my game together, however, I think my ideas were solid and that’s what made my game cool. Personally, I really benefited from the workbook practice, as well as the test because it gave me the knowledge to create a cool game. I think that I really improved in this skill during this project. 

Reasoning and Analyzing: Use logic and patterns (including coding) to solve puzzles and play games.

At first, coding seemed impossible. Things were not working out the way I wanted and my knowledge on coding wasn’t there. The way that I improved was by exploring various resources and practicing coding and getting familiar with it. 

Now, the final product!

Unfortunately, the was a technical problem so I only have pictures to show you guys.

I will make sure to add the game link when the error is resolved!

For my game I chose to use Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen as my molecules. I soon realized that those 3 mixed together create soda pop so I chose that as my game idea! My first thought was a to create a game instead of a simulator because I wanted something that was fun for the user.

To summarize, I found learning about molecules and atoms to be really interesting. Furthermore , it was cool to code and create my own video game. The thing that I found most challenging in this project was coding at first, since I wasn’t very familiar with it. My favorite part of this project has to be finishing my final product and being proud of it!

Thanks for reading today’s blog!

The More Things Change Post

Hi everyone, today I’ll be writing about the project I just finished in PLP 8.

This project was based around European settlement and also the First Nations. Another aspect that we learned about in this project is “Continuity and Change”. This is our final project of Humanities In PLP 8!

In this project we worked in groups to create our final product. The final product in this project was an Infographic.

The driving question in this project was “What did European Settlement mean for all the people involved?”

My answer to that is that it effected trade for all those involved. For example, the Europeans received resources to make hats and different fashion, and the First Nations received new foods and modern tools and weapons.

To demonstrate my learning, I will be highlighting the milestones/stepping stones that helped me reach an answer to the driving question.

The first thing I will be highlighting is the history of settlement and how it effected each side.

During this project we had a pages notes document that we regularly updated with information about settlement as a whole. We learned about treaties, relations between different sides, importance of land, and colonization. This info was important because it was a key part of our Infographic. This information was the evidence that supported our thesis on the Infographic.

I found it interesting to learn about First Nations because where I live there seems to be a presence of First Nations culture. Furthermore, this info extends my thinking on previous knowledge that I obtained in elementary school.

The second thing that helped me answer the driving question was the Survival Challenge activity that we did. This helped because it gave me an idea of what is needed to survive in the wild. To do this, we created a video demonstrating a survival technique of our choice.

I did this activity with my partner, Samuel and we chose to demonstrate an SOS signal.

Here’s our Survival video!

This video was really fun to make and I would be open to something like this again!

The next milestone I will be mentioning is milestone 4.

Milestone 4 was our Infographic about European Settlement.

To prepare for this milestone, we learned about what made a good Infographic. I learned that Infographics must be short and sweet an they also must tell a story.

Also, we brought various drafts and received peer critique.

Here’s my first draft:

The critique that I got was to change the colour of the hat, find credible sources, and center images and text better.

My partner and I took this feedback and started fixing our mistakes.

Now here’s our final draft!

To make the Infographic better we changed some of the info so that it resounded more with the thesis. We also centred the text and images better.

Now the Infographic wasn’t the final piece, to give the viewers of our Infographic a better idea of what settlement meant, we created a video that explained it.

To create this video, we used the Keynote feature “Magic Move”. This was my first time using it, so it was a quite learning experience!

To watch our Infographic explainer video go to the top of the post!

Every project in PLP is guided by the “Curricular Competencies”.

This project had only 2 competencies, Using Evidence, and Identifying Continuity and Change.

For Using Evidence, I think at first I wasn’t that advanced, however now I think I have improved those skills. I learned to show that growth by practicing on finding credible sources and using evidence that relates to what I’m implying.

And for Identifying Continuity and Change, at first I had no idea what Continuity and Change was. And now I fully understand what it is and how to apply it. I learned to show this by doing milestone 2 and by writing a Continuity and Change statement for my Infographic.

In Conclusion, I found learning about settlement and the First Nations especially really interesting. It was also good to work on Group work, something that you will regularly see in PLP. Furthermore, it was cool to make an Infographic as our final product.

Here’s a picture of my partner and I by our sign!

Thanks for reading!

Destination Imagination Post

Hi everyone, today I will be writing about a project we recently finished. This project was called Destination Imagination.”DI” is all about critical thinking and thinking quickly. The main goal of DI is to find a solution to the challenge that you get. There are 4 different challenges; Technical, Scientific, Engineering, and Artistic. Normally, we would present our challenge solutions at tournaments, however due to Covid, we created videos.

My challenge was Technical and my partners were: Cooper, Aaron, Julian, Ben T., and Declan. Our group name was: “Technically Happy”.

Here’s what our challenge required:

Now for DI there isn’t just one challenge to solve, there are two. Along with the main challenge there is an Instant challenge. Each group had a different Instant challenge, some challenges were in Presentation format, and some were in  Creation format.

Also, to prepare for this “Instant challenge”, we did many practice challenges to get ready. These challenges tested us to work together as a group well, but also in a quick manner. That’s the thing about instant challenges is speed, and if this were a normal year, we wouldn’t have as much time to prepare for the challenge. More on the practices, we acted as objects for the scenery, and we rarely got to use literal objects. This was good help since we had to do the same thing for the real Instant challenge.

My group got a “Presentation” type of challenge for the Instant challenge. Looking back, I think that we could’ve been better prepared, however I think we acted our roles well.

Our first task, which was pretty hard: was creating our own Basecamp Project. Actually creating it wasn’t hard but organizing our work by ourselves instead of the teachers was hard.

We then started to meet our challenge requirements and we had to fill out lots of worksheets.

I think that it took a while for our group to develop ideas and it was quite frustrating at first.

After many out-of school Zoom calls we had a full rough script to show our teacher. We had many good ideas and a long script which would be good in the long-run because some of our ideas wouldn’t be included.

The next step was to do a quick rough run through of the script and present to our teacher. This led us to assign roles for the characters and I chose to be the “guide”.

We didn’t have all of the tools and props at that time so the critique/ recommendations were pretty straightforward. At this time, we hadn’t started any filming we were just going through things and exploring all options.

In the middle of all of this, we were creating our Team Poster.

Here’s our design;

We took a photo with all of us gathered around the poster, unfortunately I don’t have that picture.

During the next few weeks, my group filmed the video and worked on the overall visuals of the video. Since our video didn’t have many literal materials, (it was mostly CGI), our work doubled. For example, we created a HUD, a health bar, and different sets. And of course, the editing was very extensive.

Like before, we brought a rough draft and presented it to our teacher. At that point, our video was only 3 minutes long and we had 5 minutes! So we already knew there was more work to be done. Our teacher recommended that we add subtitles since sone of the audio overlapped. Also, that we make things that are happening more clear.

During the last week, we added the finishing touches, as well as making a Q&A video explaining the process of our video solution.

In response to the critique that we got, we added an introduction explaining what had happened to this adventurer. That rounded our video to exactly 4:59 out of the 5 minutes we were limited to.

Now finally, here is our video solution!

And here is our Q&A video!

We placed 1st for our main solution and also 1st for our Instant Challenge!

In summation, I think everyone that did this project would agree that it was a lot of work. However, seeing and being proud of the final product made me realize that all of the work was worth it. Looking back, I think my group and I could’ve gotten more points by making the scenes more clear, and by incorporating more real materials. I also think that we could’ve assigned roles better, instead of putting all of the work on 1 or 2 people. The things we did well was working efficiently, and working well together. We also spent many out of school hours working on this project.

Thanks for reading today’s blog!

Growth Mindset Post

Hi everyone, today I will be reflecting on the recent challenge I have been doing in class. This challenge was all about developing a growth mindset and learning how to fail. A growth mindset means that you believe that basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. The contrary of a growth mindset is a fixed mindset. A fixed mindset means that you believe intelligence is fixed—so if you’re not good at something, you might believe you’ll never be good at it.

We represented our learning and knowledge through a “Growth Mindset Journal”.

During this challenge we learned about grit, effort, and how your mindset affects your learning.

Max’s Growth Journal

This book contains our answers to questions about things such as our grit and effort and our thoughts on intelligence.
The big thing that I learned from this challenge is that skills come from development and failure. As opposed to coming from genes or being “born with them”.
Also, I learned that failure is “the first step in learning”, it was my first time hearing that saying in learning. I mean I’ll admit it there has been times where I failed at something new, and got really discouraged from that.
Looking back at this lesson, something that influenced me was a video about a survey. This survey studied the amount of Harvard grads that ended up reaching their full potential of say a CEO, and few did. And the reason behind that was the fear of failure and them not being used to failure. Because of their consistent success, they didn’t know how to learn from their mistakes.
This finding led me to understand that school is a fraction of what the real world is like.
As for all projects we do in PLP, this challenge had a final product. With all of our knowledge of growth mindset and developing new skills, we created a “Long-Term Goal selfie”. However this goal had to be realistic and achievable by June.
Here’s my goal selfie:
I chose my goal to be about artistic skills because art and just trying new techniques has been something I have avoided. An example of achieving my goal is by instead of text I could use drawings to represent my learning.
To Summarize, this challenge has taught me many new things. It taught me the difference between a fixed mindset and growth mindset, that you should take risks, and most importantly that it’s okay to fail. It also that school is essentially an “artificial world”, since failing isn’t accepted. The biggest thing that this lesson did was prepare me for the real world.
Thanks for reading!

Argh Matey! Post

Hi everyone, today I’ll be writing about a project I have recently finished called “Argh Matey”!

This project was all about European exploration and the impact that it had. It was also about pirates, hence the Argh Matey name. 

The driving question in this project was: “What was the impact of global exploration”?

My answer to that is that exploration of the americas impacted the people living there, the foods in Europe (Pizza from tomatoes), and affected humanity as a whole.

This project also included analyzing worldview, which is what our last project was about. To read that post click this link: “How it started How it’s going” Post.

To represent my learning, I will show you guys the milestones/stepping stones that helped me answer the driving question best.  I will also show you the final product to this project. 

Milestone 1 was about analyzing cause and consequence. Cause and consequence is a technique that historians use to examine tragedies and accomplishments from the past. There are underlying causes, immediate causes, and immediate consequences, and long term consequences.

For this milestone we used an app called “AR Makr” to tell a story using the cause and consequence technique. Also, we created one object for our display using keynote to bring our story to life.

Here’s what ARMakr looks like:

The competencies assessed for milestone 1 were Discussing, Listening, and speaking, Analyze Cause and Consequence, and finally Empowered Learner. 

For Discussing, Listening, and speaking, I think that at first I was pretty solid at that competency. However, there’s always room for improvement and I think that I did just that. I did that by being more engaged in lessons, and keeping focus on whoever is speaking.

For Analyze Cause and Consequence, at the beginning I didn’t quite know what I was doing. I got better at this competency by working on it more and by exploring different topics and finding the causes and consequences of those events. Now, I think that I’m pretty good at organizing different ideas into the web.

For Empowered Learner, at first I knew how to use my iPad tool pretty well. However, learning how to better use both ARMakr and Keynote expanded my knowledge more.   

We learned about cause and consequence and drawing in keynote because they ultimately tied in to the final product. This milestone helped me answer the driving question because when we were learning about exploration we used cause and consequence to learn why they explored and what the effect of it was. 

The next thing that helped me answer the driving question was learning about global exploration. This helped because the driving question is based on what the impacts of global exploration were. Throughout these lessons we first learned why the Europeans explored. They explored for the three g’s, Gold, Glory, and God. We also learned lots about Christopher Columbus and the Columbian Exchange. The Columbian Exchange was a period where trade of food, animals, and disease happened between the Europeans and Indigenous peoples.This information was crucial because it was the main piece in the final product.

Finally, the milestone that helped me answer the driving question best was the final milestone/final product. For the final product we first created a web of cause and consequence based around “the age of exploration”:

I then took those ideas from the web and created a story spine. A story spine is a technique of storytelling that is very commonly used in movies. Soon after, I converted the story spine of ideas and wrote a script about why the Europeans explored and what the causes of that were.

The second step of the final product was creating a ARMakr scene with objects that we created ourselves. Also, the script that I wrote ended up going along with our scene, so I spoke my script while I was moving around my scene. Furthermore, these objects fit with each paragraph I said. We ended up posting our ARMakr scenes as videos to YouTube.

Here’s my Scene:

MY AR VIDEO!

The competencies in the final product were the same as milestone 1. 

To add, at the end of the project we were treated with a pirate pack from White Spot! 

I ordered a hamburger, fries, strawberry ice cream, and a chocolate milk.

We also took our ships that we received and played around with the White Spot app.

Here’s my pirate ship:

In conclusion, I thought that this project was really fun because, well our reward was a pirate pack! I also found it interesting to learn about pirates and exploration, however I found that pirates are portrayed in a fictional way in today’s society. It was also good to learn more about how to use Keynote and ARMakr because using visual/artistic techniques to represent my learning is one of my personal goals.

Thanks for reading today’s blog!

Let’s Reflect Post

Hi everyone, today for Day 11 of the student blogging challenge I will be looking back at the things that I was proud of. Also, I will be telling you guy my blog plans for the future!

I will start by saying that this challenge really helped my blogging skills. For example, I learned the importance of media and visual. Aspects, as well as the importance of Tags and Categories.

The weeks that I feel that I learned the most from was the Embedding content Post from week 3 and the Emojis post from week 7.

The embedding content post helped because it taught me how to add links, rename them, and add YouTube videos. The reason it was so important to learn is because adding links/media will be important for me in the future. Also, adding visuals to show my work is one of my current goals so it was important to add that aspect to my blog.

As for the Emojis post, it helped me with my creative thinking skills because the goal was in the post was to create a story using emoji prompts. It was important because it gave me a chance to work on my story telling skills. Also, in relation to DI, a project that we are currently doing, the post was all about creating a story within the emojis that you got.

Now to my future blogging plans, I think something that I want to start doing is doing like a weekly review of something. Also, I want to continue to write about my interests and different cool stories that I have for you guys.

We got a certificate at the end of the challenge so here is mine!

Thanks for reading!

Free Choice Post!

Hi everyone, today I will be writing about summer and what I like to do during the summer.

The reason I love summer so much is because you have little worries about anything, and you just get to have an all around good time with family and friends.

I will first be highlighting the traditions that I have and the things that I regularly do. Then I will be telling some of my favorite stories from summer.

My Family and I go to our Cabin usually twice a summer. And 1 of those times is with our family friends. The reason that this is more of a tradition is because of how special this cabin is to our family. My Opa, which is Grandpa in German, originally built most of the Cabin by himself around 25 years ago. And this Cabin is right by the lake so we do lots of swimming during the time that we are there. Furthermore, a new tradition that we have created with our family friends is: going to the beach and playing a “Family vs Family” fun game of football. Unfortunately, my family lost the first time.

Another thing that my family always does is lots of outdoor sports such as Kayaking, Tubing, Hiking, and Swimming, since we live by the water.

One summer, my sister had a birthday party with her friends and I invited one of my friends. We had a great time, we went to Lonsdale Quay, we went tubing and had an overall great time. However my favorite part of this experience was when we went cliff jumping (off a platform). I of course almost chickened out, and everybody bugged me after. Although I did jump. But it was like a 35 foot jump! So it was pretty nerve racking! Unfortunately, I don’t have the video of me jumping right now, however I will add it to this post ASAP!

Thanks for reading my post!

Celebrations and Festivities Post

Hi everyone, this week for the student blogging challenge I will be writing about celebrations and festivities!

For example, I will be writing about my personal family celebrations, and I will show a photo that represents my favorite celebration.

The most common holiday that we celebrate is Christmas.

Christmas is easily my favorite holiday. I just love the cozy vibe of it all, and the quality family time that I spend. One of our main traditions is putting up trees at the local shopping mall where my dad has his office. In a normal year, we hosted an “ O Christmas Tree Jamboree”, to raise funds for the local elementary school. This event would have the carolling from the school choir, arts and crafts, and it was just an all around good time! Another one of our traditions is, opening one present on Christmas Eve, presents from our aunt and uncle. We also celebrate Ukrainian Christmas, which is on January 7th, the same day as my dog’s birthday!

To give you a better idea of how my family celebrates, I will be sharing a photo that represents our favorite celebration:

It was really hard to get the pets to stay in place, so we couldn’t get a good picture for them.

To summarize, It was cool to write about what my family does for different holidays.

Thanks for reading!

How it started, How its going Post

Hi everyone, today I will be writing about the project that I have recently been working on in PLP 8.

This project was called “How it started, How its going”. It was inspired from the popular meme from late 2020. 

Here’s an example:

This project was all about worldview and Historically significant events ranging from the Medieval times to the Renaissance. Also, it was about connecting those events to the modern day western worldview.

The driving question in this project was “What can we learn from the past, and why does that matter to us today?”. My answer to that question is: that we can learn about things that shouldn’t happen again, as well as things that forever changed the way we think today.

To represent my learning, I will be highlighting the milestones/stepping stones, that helped me answer the driving question best.

The first thing I will be highlighting is Cornell Notes. Cornell notes are a way to take notes that help you to cue your understanding of the learning and summarize that understanding into your own words. Here’s a link to explain more about Cornell Notes: Cornell Notes Video. These notes helped me with other assignments in this project, such as Milestone 3 where we wrote a test answering the main question: What Historically Significant Events Helped Develop Our Worldview? This note taking technique will also help me in the future for note taking in different classes. 

The second thing i will be highlighting is Milestone 2. The competencies in this milestone were: Responding to Text and Empowered Learner. I transformed ideas to create text by taking events from my life and organizing them into different categories. I used technology to appropriately and effectively construct my knowledge by creating my collage in Keynote.

In Milestone 2, we discovered more on Worldview, how worldview is identified, and how to represent your worldview. In further words, we created a collage representing our worldview, along with a supporting statement that explained our text. To get an idea of how to represent our worldview, we explored the story mountain. A story mountain goes like this: Exposition or Introduction, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Conclusion. This helped in teaching me how to better represent my worldview, (Which we would explore in other milestones).

The third thing I will be highlighting is Milestone 5 and the things that surrounded it. The competencies in this milestone were Responding to text, Establishing Historical Significance, and Empowered learner. I constructed a meaningful and personal connection between myself and the text by using a personal connection in my example. I assessed the significance of things by connecting them to the events of today. I used technology to construct my knowledge by using SuperimposeX to create my art.

Milestone 5 included our Art piece, in this art piece we first had to use a piece of art from the medieval or renaissance times, that represented historically significant people, places, events or developments from connecting to your aspect of worldview as ‘how it started’. Then for the “How its going” side, we recreated the piece we chose with modern day objects that connected to our worldview. 

Then to explain our art, we wrote an artist statement. In the exhibit, if you pressed our art piece you would hear our artists statement. To go see my Art piece, as well as my peers, visit this link:

PLP 8 Art Exhibit

Also to visit the Companion Exhibition Guide:

Worldview Collages: Museum Companion

This milestone also included group work for the purpose of exhibit execution. There were 8 groups, each representing each aspect of worldview. 

There were also specific roles for the groups:

Writer, responsible for writing our guided tour for the exhibit

Art designer, responsible for adding the frames to art, etc.

DRI, made sure that everything was going smoothly

Room designer, responsible for adding artifacts to room 

Techie, responsible for technical parts of the project

Flex members, responsible for helping group members that needed help

I really benefitted from this group work because it is something that we will experience in our lives.

In summation, it was cool to do project that originated from a funny meme trend. Also, I liked how we learned about history and different historically significant events. An important skill that I obtained from this project was learning how to use the app SuperimposeX, for our how it started, how it’s going meme. In all, I really enjoyed this project and how we learnt many different aspects of learning.

Thanks for Reading!

Emojis! Post

Hi everyone, and welcome to my blog. Today i will be writing a story using emojis!

Ive never done something like this before, so this will be intresting!

To write my story, I will be using Byrdseed.com, which is a random emoji generator.

These are the emojis I got: 🍕😢🐈🍱😘

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Jane. Jane had many different interests, however the thing she cherished the most was eating pizza. She enjoyed all types, pepperoni, veggie, anything! One day, as she was eating at her favorite pizza parlour, all of her pizza fell on the ground! She was absolutely devastated! All of a sudden, a stray cat appeared. The cat came over to Jane and started licking her hand. Jane then picked the cat up at started petting it. “Ill call you Smokey” said Jane.  Jane then proceeded to bring Smokey home and clean him up. That night Jane ordered Sushi for dinner. When she started eating, Smokey started meowing and seemed like he wanted some. Smokey ended up eating almost more sushi than Jane he loved it that much!

Smokey and Jane ended up having a great relationship together, and both shared their obsessions of pizza and Sushi!

THE END!