Working with Words Post

Hi everyone, and welcome back to my blog. Today’s post is about the poetry project I’m been working on recently: “Working with Words”. In this project we wrote many poems, and learned about English terms. The final product in this project was a “Poetry E book”. The driving question in this project is “How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?”

You can do that by learning about poetry terms, reading poetry, and by writing descriptive texts.                             

To demonstrate my learning, I’ll be highlighting the milestones that helped me answer the driving question. 

The first piece of evidence I’ll be highlighting is our class room activities. In class, we would be split up into groups and during the class we would go to our whiteboards and answer questions. We were asked to find the theme of a poem, and to also write poems at times.

In one of our classes we were asked to write a poem about what worldview what sound like, look like, and behave like. Our poem was pretty general and didn’t use many examples. 

These classroom activities were valuable because som of these poems we wrote or learned about, we would have to write later. 

The competency in this activity was “Comprehend Constructively”. 

I think I accomplished this skill. From where I was at the start of the project, I think I did pretty well overall. 

The second piece of evidence that I’ll be highlighting is the “Poetry E Book”.

This milestone was all about finalizing our poems, and supporting them with “Complementary Texts”. We also recorded voiceovers to better explain the meaning behind our poems. Furthermore, we created an “About Me video” that highlighted our interests and passions. This milestone also helped me develop my English vocabulary. At the start of this project I didn’t know many poetry terms at all. And now, I have a deeper understanding of these concepts. 

This milestone included the “Create Effectively” competency. 

I think in most aspects I accomplished this skill. However, I think I extended in some aspects as well. For example, at most times in this project I was ahead of the game, and my Ebook was aesthetically pleasing.

To summarize, I really enjoyed making poetry and expressing myself through writing. I learned lots about different key English terms, and I became a better writer. I’m most proud of my Imagery Poem, because I had a nice rhyme scheme in there, and I wrote it about a place that I love. In all, I enjoyed writing and I hope we do something like this again!