Math games!

Hi guys! Today I will be talking all about math! I know right? So exciting! Well, that wasn’t entirely sarcasm. More specifically I will be talking about a math game that I made for school. This was defiantly one of the better projects that I had for school and was very fun to do! Let’s get into it!

Our assignment was to create game that used the laws of exponents, without requiring the players to use a calculator to do the math. In order to do this we were put into partners an I got the amazing Asha! We created a game called plot twist that was a very basic visualization of exponent equations. Here are the rules:

We got plenty of class time and we restarted our game 5 of 6 times with many, many drafts. Finally we came up with a product and presented it to a different class getting them to try our game. Everyone either loved it, or hated it and there wasn’t a lot of people who had an opinion in between. I thought that it was interesting but I’m glad that the majority liked our game and more importantly, understood how to play it. This assignment really tested my knowledge about exponents and really made me think about how to convey that knowledge to people who know nothing about it in a fun and engaging way.

Before we started this project I did have a little bit of knowledge on what exponents were but I still needed to do more work to understanding how they worked. In order to do that I developed a few questions on what I needed to know. Both on what exponents are, and how to do this project. These were called the need to know questions. After this project I know understand how exponents work on a much deeper level than if I were given worksheets. This project also helped me improve my ability to explain something to another person, who had little to no knowledge about it.

In conclusion, I think that this was a great opportunity that really stretched my imagination and made me think. It was a great way to learn about exponents and get an chance to incorporate a little fun!