MPOLS 2023

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am an expert of my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and offering feedback I can use to improve as a learner. 

Over the past few months, I’ve grown a lot as a PLP learner, and also a person. PLP is a program that allows us to take responsibility for our own learning, while also creating work that we can be proud of. I’ve gained a lot of new skills from the projects that we have done, and a lot of valuable experiences. This is not to say that I haven’t made any mistakes, of course, seeing as revision is part of the learning process. 

In our first project, we looked at the book The Outsiders, and examined worldview as an idea. While working on this project, we were advised to think about how the things that we’ve seen and experienced affect our own personality and worldview. We learned to see the world through the perspectives of the main characters, which allowed us to take a closer look at our own worldview, and the worldview of those around us. After we had finished reading the book, we were assigned the task of creating movie posters for The Outsiders, which allowed us to recreate our favourite scene from the book. This not only let us to get creative with it, but it also meant that we got to think like the characters, and take on a new worldview, which was basically the main goal of the entire project. I believe that I did a rather good job of examining different worldviews, but if I had to go back and do a better job, I would have added more detail to the littler things, and payed closer attention to the story. 

In Maker, we began work on our big life journal, which was a learning resource that was created for the purpose of letting us express our hopes and dreams for the future, as well as the progress we plan to make towards them, and what we are doing now. This project gave us the chance to create a plan for our future, but also explore things that we never would have thought about normally. I think that I learned a lot about PLP and about myself through this project, which was a huge goal for me in school. 

Another project that we’ve done ( and possibly my favourite) has to be the project that we did on the Crusades in humanities. In this project we spent a lot of time learning about the history of religions, why sparks flew between them, and how the crusades played out. We got to make slideshows about the crusades which allowed us to add animations and personalize them, which might’ve been my favourite part of the whole project. This was very important to my learning experience because it let me get creative, while still sticking the the guidelines and making a historically accurate resource. 

When we’re in PLP, I feel like I can get things done easier than I can in normal classes. This form of learning is better suited to my needs, and which is why I have been able to make so much progress as a learner. Every project that we have done has brought me a little bit closer to becoming a sophisticated learner.

I know that I’ve been talking a bit formally about my learning so far, so I apologize about that. This has been a lot of fun for me, which is something that I think is an important part of the learning experience. Through the courses that I have taken this semester, I have been able to enjoy school more than I would have through normal classes, because of the performance based learning. 

When I first started with PLP, I was still a little bit confused about how the program worked. I was very behind and confused, and I wasn’t getting the best marks. But after a little while, I started to understand a little more about the programs, and I started to get better grades. I was able to go from suns to rainbows because I started to understand the projects that we were doing. I grew a lot more because I had a slow start than if I had understood immediately. 

Despite having originally the chosen accomplished proficiency for humanities, I soon understood that I could go beyond and aim for extending instead. I had originally thought that I would only be able to reach accomplished, but it seems that I was wrong to assume that. I instead revised my learning plan to show accomplished in all of my PLP classes.

Now that we re halfway through grade eight, I think that I have fallen into the rhythm of PLP. I am more used to the layout of the projects and how we work in groups, as well as how to ask for help when I need it. Even though I am not always satisfied with my work, I always put lots of effort in, and I think that’s what counts. 

If there is one thing that I would like to accomplish in the rest of the school year, that would be to get extending marks inn all of my PLP classes. This may seem ambitious, but if I strive for all extending, then I will have to work hard to achieve that, which is something that really matters to me. 

A FAIL that I had this year would have been our triptychs. I am not the best at using photoshop, so my first drafts were horrendous. However, after many many tries, I was able to create decent work.  Next time, instead of just trying to wing it, I will ask for help or watch a tutorial instead.

Right now, we are looking at TikToks that show how difficult life is for a teacher, but we have to spin them to show what a pain teachers can be. I am a little bit worried about this one, because I’m not completely sure if they are ready for what I have, but I still think that it’ll be an amazing learning opportunity! To summarize everything that I have said, I have grown a lot from when I first started PLP to where I am right now, and it’s all thanks to PLP. Thank you for listening!