Me with renaissance innovations using SuperImposeX

How did ideas from Europe and Asia change the world? Ideas from Europe and Asia have changed our world as we know it by improving upon previous ideas, coming up with new innovations, and now, the innovations are used everyday, all around the world. Without the innovations we wouldn’t have inventions like clocks, boats, or medicine.

Left Panel – New ideas during the renaissance boosted our understanding of medicine, ships, and clocks. After the Crusades, Europeans and Muslims had more contact with each other. The Muslims had more knowledge of advanced, scientifically proven, work then the Europeans. The Europeans built off of their ideas, and then made new and better medicine. The Muslims had large textbooks, schools, and hospitals, which the Europeans were able to use to learn. The ideas developed during the Renaissance affected how much Europeans knew, and since many European countries settled in other countries after the Renaissance, their knowledge spread far and wide. Ships were often used to transport goods between ports, cities, or countries. Since the Crusades ended, Europeans, Muslims, and Chinese started trading more often which increased the demand for ships and merchants. The voyage to the Middle East or Asia was a longer journey which meant that they needed stronger, and faster ships. Mechanical clocks were a amazing innovation that was created in China. Before clocks, the sun dial was the only way to keep track of time, but it only worked during a sunny day, and not at night.

Right Panel – Before Renaissance ideas changed the world, most people didn’t understand math, logic, or science like we do today, thus, they didn’t have advanced technologies like medicine, mechanical clocks, or armadas of ships. Building blocks of modern medicine were “magic” and it was very theoretical. One of the main ways of medicine was “witches” or praying that you will heal. Even though it wasn’t scientifically medicine, it did help medicine get to where it is today. Before the renaissance there wasn’t much trade or people leaving their village, which meant they didn’t have as much need for ships to transport goods or people. Even though there weren’t many ships, there were enough that people were able to improve off of them. Sun dials were a simple way of keeping track of time, and it introduced people to having the day blocked into measured fractions. With the sundial being common, it started the process of building other ways of keeping track of time, with mechanical clocks being one of them.

Middle Panel – With new medicine, transportation, and clocks, people can do everyday things easier, and they have improved different aspects of my life my getting goods to me, managing my time, and making medicine easier to access for me. Medicine has come a long way since the renaissance, and is constantly improving everyday. The main way medical advancements effect me now is that if I have a headache, fever, cold, or any other sickness like that, it is much rarer I die, and I can usually treat it without a doctor, or going to a hospital. If we didn’t improve our understanding of medicine, we would have had much more problems with Civic-19, or even just flu season. Transportation has gone from walking, to boats, horses, and so on to cars and planes now a day. Without the development of boats or transportation we wouldn’t have amazon or any delivery company’s, and North/South America would have never been discovered by Europeans. Without those my life would be unrecognizable. Clocks can now be digital, and send messages to you to notify you. Many people like me stay awake past sundown, and without the sun there wasn’t any management system of time before the renaissance. During the renaissance they made mechanical clocks, but they were only clocks, and nowadays people want things like phones that have different jobs.

From doing this project I have discovered how much of my life is, or was, effected by innovations during the renaissance, or even before. Without those innovations our world wouldn’t be the same. We would only be in Europe, Asia, and Africa, a cold would be enough to kill somebody, and we would have no way to keep track of time accurately for 24 hours.

Over the past month, my class and me started a project about the renaissance. In the beginning of the project we worked of time managing/time blocking. We made goals, and when they are due.

The time blocking part, KeyStone#1, was one of my least favourite things to do because I hate managing time. Don’t get me wrong, I love having free time, and being organized, but the process is what I hate. By the end of the first KeyStone, I had archived the target of having all the KeyStones added, and when I should work on it.

On KeyStone#2, It was researching different innovations that were made before, during, and after the renaissance. I looked into boats, clocks, medicine, and more. Doing research isn’t something that I hate to do. It can be fun depending of what we research.

Our last KeyStone was making the triptych, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I got the be introduced to a photoshop app. I was able to add myself to a renaissance scene, pre renaissance scene, and a modern scene.

In the end I enjoyed making this project, and it was one of the best projects we have done so far.

• This is my very first prototype of a panel