This is a question I thought about in Science this project. We were talking about different types of matter and what makes something matter. For something to be matter it needed to take up space, and have mass. The empty void of space takes of all of the space between planets and suns, but it doesn’t have mass so it’s not matter. Now the big question I had is wether a black hole is matter. There are black holes that can have things orbiting it, but is the singularity itself matter. It has a astronomically large amount of mass for the size, but how big is it. Now I have found sources saying it is matter, but what exactly is considered a black hole. Now technically it is the matter itself but without the gravity would it be a black hole? A planet without gravity could still be a planet because it is a large piece of matter usually orbiting another large piece of matter. An asteroid doesn’t have a considerably large amount of gravity so it would be the same without gravity. Just for clarity the gravity will still exist that is holding the object together just doesn’t effect outside objects. Without the gravity well caused by the amount of matter it has. Without the gravity of the black hole light would escape it and it coule be visible to us, so would it really be a black hole?

In conclusion a black hole is matter so you could technically put it in a box if you could figure out how to do that.