The Difference Between Us And a Professional Crew

This is week 14 of this weekly blog post series and today we are going to be talking about the events in this week that I found interesting. I will talk a little bit about the podcast, but this post will mostly talk about the next steps that have been happening in our Shakespeare project.

The podcast is taking a short break. In school I am going to be transitioning between subjects soon so I’ll be pausing the podcast episodes for about two weeks. The next episodes should be good though as I am able to create anything for them. Keep tuned for them.

Now onto the project. Our final project is to create a radio episode about Romeo and Juliet, in addition to this we are going to have a camera live streaming our class reading lines and doing our sound effects live. The live stream should be just about as interesting as the actual radio part as our class is preparing some cool stunts to put in. To create this we have been separated into four groups, sound team, script team, creative team, and production team. Each team has important roles to fill so that we will be ready to preform.

So far work has been fun as each team works individually towards a common goal, but as time went on it seems like some teams are getting confused and others are doing whatever. Recently we have started working more fluently with each other, but for a bit we were very much individual teams who didn’t really work well with each other. This had me wondering how do professionals deal with these issues in things like radio shows and movies?

A while back when I was much younger I was part of the Deadpool 2 movie. I got to spend a lot of time on set and I also got to watch how the whole thing was put together. What I saw was that the whole team worked together really nicely to get the best possible shot. There was always multiple camera people who worked with set designers while filming to decided if the set was working or not, and I even saw them adjust the set right in the middle of filming so that it would look better. There was always the costume people ready to fix costumes after every few takes, and there was prop people who created incredible scenes for the directors. Everything felt so connected and professional. To give them credit through they are professionally trained people who have done this role many times at this point so of course they have a standard much, much higher than our school production of Romeo and Juliet.

I looked into some of the people responsible for major roles in the production of the film, I found out just how many people are involved. There are people for every little job like double check the scrip, triple checking and probably even more than that. There are multiple teams of people who just set up props and design sets. Some are not even involved on the set but they are the people who cater, who drive the actors to the set, who work editing the clips after they are filmed. Everyone plays a crucial part in a bigger project which is what my class needs to do for our radio show. Even though we don’t have the same type of crew as the professional sets, we can still do a good job with who we have.

In case you wanted to see some of the people involved I have included a photo showing the roles of film people.

overall I think it was not only cool to see just how many people are needed for movies but I also think it was good for me to understand why they are able to pull off such good production.

That’s all for now

One Response

1. Petra Willemse at |

I forgot that you were involved with “Deadpool 2”. That can be a great asset to the class next year! I agree that it is amazing how much goes into what we see on screen. Great reminder!

Reply