Alberta, made of giant glaciers, tall mountains, vast plains and many more wonders of nature. On our PLP Alberta trip this September I got to see, and learn a lot, about all of those things,  but I wasn’t in Alberta just to explore. Me and everyone else in my class was tasked with creating a video, one that was both professional, interesting and eye catching. Most importantly though it had to answer our driving question, how does place impact who we are, regarding a specific group of people we were given. Here’s the story of my thoughts, actions and the strategies I implemented to get my video done in Alberta. 

Unlike most of the kids in my class this would be my first PLP field study, as I am new to PLP this year. Because of this I think I wasn’t as prepared for the amount of work that was needed to succeed in my video. Although before heading off in to Alberta I made a plan for what I was going to film, it wasn’t enough. For the first few days I barely got anything done other than what we learned as a class. I was to busy enjoying myself, talking to people, and not focusing.An example of this was when I missed a potentially key interview with a first native at lake Louise. He walked by me and I didn’t have my mic. I could have asked a friend who I was with for their mic but I just wanted to enjoy the lake and hang out with them. Although I cant say I don’t regret missing that interview, it helped me understand that I had to make the most of the experts I met.

Another area that I made mistakes was with getting footage. Even from the start I was always looking for first native specific footage, like their art, peoples or tools. What I wasn’t thinking about was the B roll footage.

I hardly took any time lapses. Luckily though, I took some time lapses near the end of the trip when I realized I was missing them. Thanks to that close call, In the future I will always make sure to have tons of B roll footage. 

I think if I kept acting like this I would have not completed my video. Luckily I realized this and I stated trying to learn and focus more, and not just have fun. An example of my new focus and use of strategy’s was when we did our royal tyrell documentary. We had very limited time, the place was busy and we had to edit it as well. I knew I had to get an interview to exceed expectations, so I made a plan. Step one was to find what I was doing the documentary on, I chose a saber tooth cat. Step two, get footage to support what I would say. Step three, get an interview. Step four, do voice over and edit. By following these steps I managed my time and made a video I am proud of.

For our pgp in Alberta their was also a separate driving. How did I persist and manage my impulsivity on this field study in order to question, think, and gather data to complete my project and enjoy myself. My answer to this links into a lot of what I said above but the main way I managed my impulsivity over this trip wa sousing a strategy that I’ll call the 1/4 fun. I almost subconsciously used this strategy a lot in my daily life. What it means is that I start by doing something non work related for 1/4. In Alberta this meant taking artsy pictures, exploring and messing around. After that for the rest of the time I do work related things. In Alberta this could mean doing an interview, getting shots for my video or learning from the expert or resources that we’re there. By using this strategy I get side tracked less when I start my work and ultimately it is what allowed me to complete my project and enjoy myself at the same time.

Over all, at the start of the trip I didn’t focus and didn’t get the right footage. As the trip neared the end though I started working hard and baring Down on my project. On future PLP trips I will make Sure to focus from the start and do more learning then playing. Alberta was a great trip and I learned a lot, I can’t wait for the next one!