Speaking clearly can be one of the hardest things for people to do, especially when they are under pressure or in front of a crowd. Or in my case recording long podcasts with complicated language. Luckily there are a few things we can do about it. Here are my top tips for speaking confidently and clearly.

Tip number 1. Use humour. The hardest part of public speaking, or recording my voice is the start. I am nervous, my mind isn’t clear and I’m not in the moment. The best way to get in the zone of fro me is through humour. Just telling a little joke at the start, or even something light hearted (it doesn’t have to be a laughing joke) can help me relax and forget about everything else going through my head. 

Tip number 2. Good posture. Sometimes when you are listening to someone speak and they sound quiet, muffled and unsure, it may not be because that’s how they are actually feeling. If your not sitting up straight and opening up your Chest your diaphragm and lungs aren’t being used to their full potential. This quiets your voice and gives it that muffled quality. I love this tip because it is so easy to change your posture as long as you remind yourself before you go on stage.

Overall these tips are what get me through tough presentations or long podcast Episodes. I would highly recommend you try them. If you want to learn more here is a good video: