Scimatics: Laser Laws

How can we test the pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection?

Well to answer that we need to learn a little bit about both of those topics. We had to learn about different types of mirrors, different types of rays, different types of light, wave lengths, and density of different materials to help us learn the more about the law of reflection. We also learned about squared numbered, reflected angles, and triangles to help us with the Pythagorean theorem.

Questioning and predicting: in questioning and predicting I think I was accomplished. I think this because I handed in all of my workbooks in on time will all assigned questions answered. I also answered most questions correctly.

Communicating and representing:

In communicating and representing I think I was accomplished because I accurately demonstrated the Pythagorean theorem using a protractor and ruler. I also accurately recorded the Pythagorean on my milestone 4 and 5 and when I got revisions for these I did them right away.

Applying and innovating:

In applying and innovating I think I was extending because I was a big part in building the project, everything from lasers to mirrors to measuring them online and in real life. I also helped out with building the walls around our laser display.

As proof to my learning here is my milestone 4:

Question:

How can we test the Pythagorean theorem and law of reflection?

Hypothesis:

That the law of reflection proves to be true for all angles of reflected light on a flat mirror.

Procedure:

Step 1: get 3 mirrors

Step 2: get a laser

Step 3: point the laser in a straight line

Step 4: use a protractor to position mirror #1 to reflect off the laser at a 90 degree angle

Step 5: using a protractor position mirror #2 at an angle so it reflects near the top of the starting point of the laser

Step 6: place rulers along all of the sides of the triangle

Step 7: measure and record the length of both legs and the hypotenuse

Data/results/analysis:

As you can see here, this is a right angle triangle with 2 mirrors used, 3 protractors used, and 3 rulers used to show how long each leg is and the hypotenuse

In the photo above the blue line represents the normal ray, the white represents the incident ray, and the red represents the reflected ray.

And here you can see I drew all the measurements for the triangle.

Equation: length x height which is 30cm x 40cm which equals 1200cm divided by 2 which is 600m which means 600cm is the area of my triangle.

Pythagorean theorem: 30×40=50 which means that it is a right triangle because 50cm squared does equal 2500.

In conclusion my hypothesis is correct and that the law of reflection proves to be true for all angles of light reflected on a flat mirror. I know this because in my experiment I used flat mirrors and a variety of angles and and the law of reflection proved to be true. And through my experiment I also tested the Pythagorean theorem and it proved to be true. I know this because:

C²=a²+b²

C²=98²+52

C²=9604+2704

C²=12308

C²=√110

C²=110

Which means that the hypotenuse is 110cm.

And the measurements that prove the law of reflection are 60°, 90°, and 28°. The normal ray for 60° is 0°, the incident ray is 30°, the reflected ray is also 30°. For 90° the normal ray is 0°, the incident ray is 45°, the reflected ray is also 45°. For the 28 the normal ray is 0°, the incident ray is 14°, the reflected ray is also 14°.