The Renaissance: a Change Engine

What significant development emerged from the past and how does they impact us today?

Well, to answer that question we decided to learn about the renaissance. We learned about different inventors, inventions, artworks, and societal changes. We had to research 1 thing in each of these topics. The inventor I researched was Galileo Galileo, the invention I researched was clocks and hourglasses, the art piece I researched was the school of Athens, and the societal change I researched was city states and trade. We had to research all these things to help us build our final product which was a triptych and a paragraph explaining why and what we thought the most important out of all of those topics in the renaissance was. I think it was the invention of clocks and hourglasses and here is the paragraph I wrote:

I think that the telling of time, clocks and hourglasses were the most important invention during the Renaissance. Some reasons to why I think that are that time is very commonly known, almost everybody knows the telling of time, whether it’s 24 hour time or 12, it is very commonly known. You can also find time everywhere, it is very accessible. Whether you can find it on your phone, watch, iPad, or a clock on the wall it’s everywhere.

Another reason why I think clocks and hourglasses is the most important is because they can be used for many more things then just timing the sermon, timing cooking times in rich households and timing watches on a ship which is mainly what they were used for when they were invented. Now we use clocks for telling time, setting timers to know when to get to certain events on time, cooking, as an alarm to get our day started, we also use the clock in relation to the calendar for setting events and knowing what time of the day for certain events and when we need to get stuff done we could put it in a calendar such as things.

And my last reason for why I think that clocks and hourglasses are the most important invention during the renaissance is how clocks have become more accessible since the renaissance. During the renaissance clocks were expensive and a luxury and now clocks aren’t expensive and are widely spread and the telling of time with numbers is free. It went from being an expensive luxury to a free way to measure our day. And that’s why I think that the telling of time, clocks and hourglasses are the most important invention during the Renaissance.

And here is my triptych:

If you were wondering what a triptych is it is a a picture or relief carving on three panels, typically hinged together side by side and used as an altarpiece.

Overall in this project I think that I was accomplished because I handed all my work in on time, put complete and finished work into all my work, and used my class time wisely to get all my work done. A few specific things that I think I did well on were my triptych because of how it’s finished with all the proper elements needed in it are in it, and my name charts being through and informing.