Crazy Chemical Conditions

Hi everyone,

We just finished a Scimatics project called chemistry coding. As you can probably guess by the name it was about chemistry and coding. We had to code a game or simulator which showed are understanding of the kinetic molecular theory. Our driving question was “How is the Motion of Atoms and Molecules Related to the Temperature?”

This is my scratch game. I had another version the atoms are hydrogen and you can check it out here. The atoms speed up as your score (the temperature goes up), the goal is to get the highest temperature possible. 

My best work this project was my game in my opinion but I also did well on Gemstone ID challenge. In the gemstone ID challenge we had to ID gemstones by calculating their density. Turns out I was wrong they weren’t three different gemstones they were all white topaz, but I did a good job at calculating the density.

Now I will reflect on how I did on the curricular competencies. We had three curricular competencies for this project and I felt I did pretty well on all of them. 

The first one was Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. I feel I did quite well on this competency. I got all my work done on time, I used my class time efficiently and I was still demonstrating a curiosity towards this chemistry by the end of this project. 

Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies. I feel I did very well on this competency, I had 2 different atoms, multiple states of matter, and a historical model. Of the atom. I also communicated my understanding of the kinetic molecular theory. 

Reasoning and analyzing: Use logic and patterns to solve puzzles and play games. I feel I did awesome on this competency. I used logic and patter to make a game which you could play, and reasonable conditions and was fun!