Hi everyone, my name is Quinn. I’m a grade 12 student from Vancouver, British Columbia. This blog is a place for me to reflect on my learning experiences throughout my time in the Performance Learning Program.

One of my biggest passions in life is nature. I love to spend my free time exploring my home through hiking, skiing, camping, kayaking, paddle boarding etc. One thing I enjoy doing while exploring is wildlife photography. Since I started in late 2021 I have probably spent over 400 hours shooting wildlife. While many people don’t understand why I chose to get up insanely early, or wait out in a field getting eaten alive by mosquitoes for multiple hours just to get a shot, they don’t understand the thrill of spending time in the animals world. The thrill you get from capturing a shot of a black bear making eye contact with you, or a Deer framed by greenery and the mountains. It truly makes all the hours spent in uncomfortable positions and all kinds of weather conditions worth it. Linked below is a post including my best photos of 2022. Please go check out my account if you’re interested. I try to upload new photos as much as possible.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Quinn Smilgis (@quinnsmilgisphoto)

As I’ve spent more time with wildlife in the field I have realized just how important it is to protecting the Natural World. This has led me to become more and more passionate about Conservation. I want to study a degree related to this for my post secondary education. I’m also always looking to become more involved in local conservation projects. If anyone reading this knows about any conservation projects based in the Vancouver/Sea to Sky area please reach out to me  at qsmilgis@gmail.com

In addition to my passion for nature I also love sports and athletics. As previously mentioned I love skiing, hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding. But I also love team sports like Volleyball and Basketball. This year I am a captain of the Senior Boys Volleyball team, as well as the starting setter. I will also be trying out for club volleyball come November. I love the atmosphere and community these sports provide.