Our Revised Government!!

Hey, hi, and hello. Welcome back to my blog where not all those who wander are lost (J.R.R Tolkien). In this post I will be continuing on the topic of politics, like my last two posts (election reflection & Press release) . Before we get into the post I want to briefly explain our recent project. With the recent election we started a project about Canadian politics. The main focus of this project is to answer the question, how should we govern ourselves? My answer to this before we delved into this project was; I thought the way we currently govern ourselves is fine. Now, onto the post.

One of the assignments from this project that I think was the key to this project being successful was the vote compass test. For this we had to go to vote compass and answer some questions. My results from it:

I discovered this to be important once we got our groups for creating political parties. When we were put in our group we all looked at each other’s vote compass results to discover that we all got very similar results. This ended up with us all agreeing, for the most part, on our groups ideologies. After forming our group I than began to rethink my answer to the driving question and started to think there might be some things that need to be changed.

The next thing I would like to talk about in this post are Zettlekasten. Zettles are notes, either permanent, literature, or fleeting. We learned what and how to take each of these types of notes using a program called craft . I found that this method off note taking is similar to the one I started using in march. It helped me find notes easily with the magic of linking and I was able to add those notes to my posts. I will definitely continue to use this method of organization and will create a post soon to explain them more in depth.

Reform & Revise. This is what our group (Izzy, Natalie, Zoe, and Ben [links to their posts] ) decided to call our political group. As I mentioned earlier in the post, we all had similar views on politics and how we should govern ourselves. The main issues we wanted to address were: the current electoral system, climate change, social inequity, and social inequality. After creating our statement of intent we were tasked with creating a press release (you can see it here). And finally our video. When we started to plan our video we wanted it to be serious but then we decided we wanted to be more focused on have a younger audience, make it for future voters. The plan of action to achieve this was to get inspiration from the Rocky Dong video. Rocky Dong was our local PPC candidate in the previous election, his video attracted the audience of teens. We then created our video to be partly serious and partly comedic. This video reflects a more in depth description of our group’s views on the current government and how we should change how we govern ourselves.

Now onto competencies. For this project there were 4 competencies over all.

I can share my opinions and support them with evidence. I found that throughout this project. I was able to back most of my opinions by connecting them to a source or a different topic.
I can use writing and design processes to plan, develop, and create original, engaging, and meaningful texts for a variety of purposes and audiences. With taking Sylvan’s writing program last year I have been able to not only expand my vocabulary but also deepen my knowledge of writing techniques making me a better writer and learner. For designing processes I find it easier to plan with sketches or small outlines.
I can reflect, assess, and refine texts to improve clarity, effectiveness, and impact for purpose, audience, and message. Doing two formative post has helped me understand how to improve my writing for this summative post. I always enjoy feedback to be able to improve for the future.
I can infer and explain corroborated interpretations from sources after investigating points of contention, and the reliability and adequacy of the evidence. During my Sylvan course last year I learned how to see if a source is reliable or not. I think that this has helped me be able to find reliable sources. However I need to work on sourcing in my posts and assignments.

How should we govern ourselves? I put this question at the beginning of this post, I then showed the work I did to try and answer. However, now that we are at the end of the post and the end of this project I will try my best to answer it. I personally think that we should govern ourselves in a way that is equal. A way where there are no favourites, a way where everyone is accepted for who they are no matter race, sexuality, or gender. I think that if we do this we can move forward past this pandemic together, then tackle issues like climate change. If we don’t stick together our nation will fall apart.

I hope you enjoyed reading this post and that it has inspired you to ponder this question as well. Make sure to check out the PLP blog. Until next time.

Peace ✌️