MPoLs rising from the dead

Hey, hi, and hello. Welcome back to my blog where “not all those who wander are lost” (J.R.R Tolkien). This is an MPoL post, I haven’t done one in a while since we didn’t do them last year. The driving questions for this years MPoLs are: How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year? And, How can I sharpen my Learning Plan to ensure I will reach my learning targets by the end of this school year? Let’s dive in.

The goal I set at the beginning of this year was to expand more upon my blogs and find a better way to plan and format them. The plan I set to achieve this was to set a day during the week where I would organize my schedule and time block my homework, and if that homework included writing a blog post, I would create an outline before I started writing, unlike previous years. I have done some good work towards my goal over this first semester. I now create outlines for my blog posts and time block my homework times, I even schedule breaks. I try to keep organized by writing: what is due, what is scheduled, and any homework. I will create this as a daily note. I have also improved my work set up so that I am at a desk with little to no distractions so I can get work done.

Some evidence of my continuous work on re-formatting my posts are shown in my summative posts for the election reflection project and the Manhattan project project. Looking back on my summative post for the project on the election I had a strong and new intro and I had customized my blog to look more presentable. For the Manhattan Project post I didn’t have that strong of an intro and I could have expanded more on my post but I did have good use of links and media. I then reviewed these two posts while I was writing my summative post for my recent project so I had a strong intro and good use of links and media.

In preparation for MPoLs I started reviewing my start of year goal and compared it to the competencies. I thought it only fit under the Critical and Reflective Thinking Competency. However, after looking more closely I realized that my goal fits under the Creative Thinking Competency as well. I discovered this due to me trying to gain more writing skills, to expand on blog posts, through creative writing and that although blog posts are supposed to be critical and reflective it takes creative skills to write them. I have been able to build up my creative writing skills this year with writing scripts and screenplays in my drama class and with writing a book. Near the end of summer I started writing a book and now I continue it in my spare time. I have noticed a difference in my writing in PLP assignments this year and I think it is due to all the writing I have been doing.

Now back to the driving questions. How have I demonstrated growth as a learner? I feel that my writing skills are the most noticeable change and I feel that I have demonstrated that through the written aspect of assignments. How can I sharpen my Learning Plan to ensure I will reach my learning targets by the end of this school year? Looking over my start of year goal and where I’m at now. I have decided to re-write and expanding upon my goal and my plan. My updated goal moving forward is to not only expand upon my blog posts but to also expand upon any writing assignments. My plan moving forward is to time block every homework session, implement a new way to organize my notes and todo’s, and always create an outline when working on a blog post or writing assignment. I hope that by the end of the year I will be able to use my time effectively and be able to have better structured blog posts and writing assignments.

Thank you for spending the time to read through such a long post. Make sure to stay tuned for more to come.

Peace✌️