Change, Change, and More Change.

One month ago today we began our fourth humanities project this year. For this project we incorporated two focuses that shared a comm0n trait. Change. One of the two factors of this project was the renaissance which might have held the biggest change Europe had faced. The other factor was our transition from grade 7 (Elementary school) to grade 8 (high school) which was when we faced change in our own life. Although our transition was not as historic as the renaissance, both of these changes impacted our our lives.                      whether it be dramatic or smaller day to day things.

Whether you want to realize it or not, shifting from Elementary School to High school, may be one of the toughest transitions you have experienced so far in your life. It will also be a defining moment in your life! By making connections between who and what has impacted you the most this year, you can better prepare yourself for other shifts that will happen in your life! By applying this knowledge to different time in history as well, we can understand the evolution of Worldviews of ourselves and other throughout time and history. We will also focus on the competencies to create a creative representation of who and what impacted this change in your life, and the consequence (both positive and negative) of those changes.

-Ms. Maxwell 

This unit was led with the driving question: Who or what has challenged your worldview in the transition from elementary school to high school? Although it really only applied for the gr.7-gr.8 transition aspect of the project, it shared some common traits such as cause and consequence which was a main focus in this project. The competencies that were used in this project were the “Create” competency and the “cause and consequence” competency.

Create
: What literacy skills am I using to write, speak, and represent in the texts I create?

This competency was all about the making or writing aspect of the project. One of the two parts to this project was the song that we made. Pretty cool right? We wrote and sang a song all about what has changed from elementary school to high school and how it changed or altered our worldview. I found I thrived during this part of the project and found the brainstorming as well as the lyric formation to flow smoothly. After forming my lyrics to the R.E.M song “Its The End Of the World As I know It” or in this case “Its The End Of My World As I Know It”,  found my self to be much closer to answering the driving question. We then sang and recorded the song using Garage Band.  I found that I struggled with this part of the process. Coming into it I thought that I could record my song in one take and that it would take very little time. I  ended up to to be wrong and due to my misjudgment I had a very late night. After that experience then knew for our group song that we would need to leave plenty of time record and edit.

Cause and Consequence: Who or what influenced events to occur and what were the consequences of those events?
Although this competency was a main part of both aspect of the project, the consequences of the renaissance effects life even today. For this competency we learned all about the renaissance and why it was a such a significant time in history. We learned all about renaissance men and how the scientific revolution was a breakthrough in science history. We learned what humanism was and how it effected art work and the way people saw life, and we even learned what sparked and ended the renaissance itself. For this area of the project we completed many small pieces of work for each area of the renaissance and one final piece that helped us reflect on or learning. Our final product was a Milestone called Cause and Consequence of the Renaissance. For this milestone we chose an aspect of the renaissance that showed a consequence of that time. We then wrote how it still efffects us today and what caused it in the first place. I chose the scientific revolution and more specifically, the scientific method and the impacts it had.  I thought I understood this competency to the extending level due to my thought and work towards this area of the project. In both the song and the renaissance I showed exemplary work.
over the course of this project I have gradually curated an answer to our driving quest. So many things have changed in the past school year and the transition has been quite the roller coaster. From new opportunities, to having a longer commute to school every day, my worldview has changed and been challenged from the dramatic transition from grade 7 to grade 8. Make sure to comment any questions on this post below.