DI

Introduction

DI was one of my favourite projects that we have done so far. Even though it was really hard and at times very challenging for me, we pulled through and created an awesome project. I cannot wait to share with you in this blog post all about the project, about my DI group called ‘The MMM’, known as ‘The Mechanized Mechanical Mechanics’, and how we created one of the coolest videos ever.

Learning the rules

First off, I want to give you a bit of an idea on what Destination Imagination really is. Every single year students are supposed to choose between four different categories: technical, scientific, engineering, and fine arts. Every year they need to come up with new task for each of the categories and have to make something out of it. There is a twist though, it’s not all butterflies and rainbows! There a lot of rules to follow and choices  to make in order not to get disqualified. Our group was the engineering group. In order to make sure we new exactly what our task was and what the rules for that task were, we decided to split off in groups. Each group was responsible to read one section and find out all the things that the section said to do and also all the things that it said not to do.

Planning the building and writing the script

Our task was to create a building that resembles how opposites help each other. Also, we had an option to choose from different building and architectural styles and we were supposed to select one of each. Since the building was supposed to show how opposites attract, we decided to make the architectural style and building style opposites. The most opposite styles we could think off was Renaissance vs Postmodernism. We chose the Renaissance as the architectural style and the Postmodernism as the building style. We all decided to research on one of the two styles to make sure we fully understood how those styles looked. Originally, we were going to make a dome that was half fire-half ice, but at the end we could not build the dome because of time restraints. So, instead, we made a huge rectangular box with one big spike on the top that posed as a movie theatre.  As part of the project, we also had to make a script. I was not really involved in the making of the script, but the story was mainly about old and young people settling their differences to make a wonderful work of art.

Creating the video

Another task was to creat a video. When we created the video, we had to give everyone an equal part in the play. Since the play was based around old and young people fighting, we decided to have acting roles such as one old person, two young people, and one millennial in the video. There was also one narrator and two builders. I was given the role of the first young person. The story started with two people deciding to build a community recreation center for an entire town to enjoy. They didn’t really know how to make everyone happy, so they decided to try mixing two opposite art styles, postmodern and renaissance, for their design of the building. Even though the design was really nice, the mix of the art styles was not enough for the old and the two young people. They decided to add a new part of the building, a theatre. This was a big mistake! They wanted old and young people to engage with each other, so they chose to make a giant basketball court that everyone can go to play games on. After the video had been recorded, one of my team members edited it and added sound effects. The video turned out to be awesome! I had so much fun acting this out and would love to do it again.

In conclusion, I hope we have a project like this again and that in the next DI project I will be able to create something extremely cool. This project was very challenging and really helped me realize how competitive DI is. 

Link to video…