Ultimate Design Challenge

Yooo what’s good y’all, today for my blog post I will be talking about our science project which was on building a 3D model. Our driving question for this project was “ How can 8 design a container ship so that it has maximum surface area/ volume?”

Applying and Innovating 

I used most of my time in class efficiently when our group needed help I would help them even outside of school. I believe that I gave most of my effort into this project and I felt like we split up the work pretty well. I did the easier stuff and more of it. While sylas and Alfie did the harder work but less of it. We wanted to be efficient so we split up the work and trusted that we would all do our parts. We worked as a team and this made us strive and get good marks.

Reasoning and Analyzing 

For this part of the project we designed a container ship using tinker cat. We split things up so that it was quicker alfie and I had to build the supports under the boat while sylas had to work on the container ship itself. We used tinker cat to create this container ship and what we were looking for was maximum volume and we accomplished that having a ratio of 3.7:1 which was ratio to surface area. The 3D shapes that we used were rectangular prism, cylinder, hemisphere, cube, and many more. In total we counted 12 different shapes that we used but the main ones were the ones that I listed. A big part of why we finished this so quickly was sylas had already started on the building of the container ship before we even new what we had to do. So me and Alfie just had to build the supports which are a lot harder then they seem because they had to be the same exact as the others and you couldn’t copy and paste them.

Communicating and Representing 

For our Keynote presentation we had 8 slides and 4 explaining all of our calculations and our ratio. We had sylas do the container boat himself and explain the process of making it and how he did it. Alfie and I did the calculations and went into depth on what happened and how we did these calculations. They were explained with detail, we split up the calculations so we did the big parts of the boat such as the storage hull and the bridge.

Thank you for listening into my project and hope y’all have a great day.