Volunteer at North Vancouver District Public Library
Book Buddies is a Library program that helps children aged 6-11 who need support and encouragement in maintaining and improving their reading skills. Children are matched with a teen volunteer, and for ½ hour each week the Book Buddies read aloud to each other, choose books to take home, and do literacy-based activities such as word games. It is a reading mentoring program, it does not teach reading.
The Library is looking for Book Buddy volunteers who:
- Are in grades 10, 11, or 12
- Enjoy working with younger children, including those with disabilities or who are English Language Learners
- Are enthusiastic about reading, and can model reading as an enjoyable activity
- Are patient, supportive, encouraging, and can help younger children stay focused
- Are able to communicate clearly, effectively and courteously with children, parents, library staff and fellow Book Buddy volunteers
- Are able to keep schedules, notes and statistics
Book Buddies is most effective when the child meets with the same volunteer each week. Volunteers must to be able to commit to 18 hours over 9 weeks from January-March, 2017, plus a training session, two practice sessions and an evaluation session for a total of 23 hours :
Parkgate Library: Tuesdays, 3:30-5:30pm, January 10 – March 7, 2017
There will be a training session for all participants at the Parkgate Library on Tuesday, November 27 2016, 4:00-5:00pm and two practice sessions on Tuesday, December 6 and 13, 3:30-5:30pm.
Volunteers will rely on library staff for training, supervision, emergency assistance and advice regarding reading selections. All volunteers must complete a criminal record check and those who complete 23 hours of volunteer work will receive written confirmation.
If you are interested, please submit (by mail, email or in person), a resume and cover letter explaining why you’d like to be a Book Buddy and the skills you have that will help make you a successful candidate by Thursday November 17, 2016 to:
Alison Campbell email@example.com
Manager, Community Connections 604.990.5800 ext 8118
North Vancouver District Public Library
1277 Lynn Valley Road
North Vancouver, BC V7J 0A2