The next Research Open House is scheduled for Monday, March 9, 2020 from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm at the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute.
- 8:45 am – Student registration at the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute
- 9:30 am – Research presentation
- 10:15 am – Students will be assigned to smaller groups and have the opportunity to visit and interact with three different research teams on the Oak Street Campus. Due to the large number of participants, students will NOT have the opportunity to select activities. Activities will be randomly assigned. The 2019 activities included:
- Using blood to understand immune responses in premature babies
- Using fruit flies to understand how our body deals with environmental stress
- Wheat DNA extraction experiment
- Determining protein concentration using colorimetric assay
- An exploration of clinical research in pediatric orthopaedic surgery
- Biomedical signal analysis
- Using next-generation sequencing to diagnosis rare disease
- DNA jigsaws: genomic research using your laptop
- The proof is in your DNA: Paternity testing using gel electrophoresis
- Growth factor regulation of metastatic properties of high-risk endometrial cancers
- Natural killer cells in pregnancy: friends or foes?
- Blood components
- Participating in vaccine research – the research process for a visit from start to finish
- Determining energy requirements in humans
- Tools for determining body composition
- 12:00 pm – Students dismissed
Students need to be nominated to this open house. They will take 3 of our students so these get offered to Gr. 12’s first. Deadline for nomination is February 3rd. This is a free event and lunch is served. Please see Ms. Bramley for more information.